General > General Discussion

Finally did it.

<< < (3/4) > >>

William Brillinger:

--- Quote ---It's also normal for different locomotives and manufacturers to require different voltages to operate.  Athearn RTR and blue box usually require quite a bit to get them started.  Genesis can be the same.  Atlas and Kato usually require less.  My best running locomotives are Atlas and they require very little starting voltage to get them to creep.

--- End quote ---

That said, they should still MU properly without adjusting the start voltage as long as you did the Motor Full Load Current setup.

KPack:

--- Quote from: William Brillinger on December 29, 2015, 11:20:38 AM ---That said, they should still MU properly without adjusting the start voltage as long as you did the Motor Full Load Current setup.

--- End quote ---

That's correct.  The starting voltage is adjusted for individual locomotive operation, but won't affect MU capabilities.

-Kevin

Josephbw:
The Full Load test was the first thing I did with both engines, but the SW1500 required about 30+% throttle to get it to move, whereas the RS2 only required about 6%. I guess I'm going to have to check for binding in the drive train. It is a brand new engine though, as is the RS2, so maybe it just needs to be run in for a while. I guess I'll build a loop of track and turn it loose and see if it lessons the load.

As to the track, it was just 5 sections of flex track with joiners and clip cords to the power supply. But the thing that puzzles me is that the voltage didn't drop off more than .04V from the power supply to the end of the track. And it didn't matter whether I was running one engine or MU'd 2 of them.

BTW, both engines are current production models, not the old BB.

One other question, the IB says to use 16 ga wire for a bus. I'm going to have a large layout and will probably need 4 power supplies. 16 ga seems pretty light after using 12 ga for years at the club. Is there any problem with using 12 or 14 ga. wire for the bus line? Or is the current demand that much lower than what Digitrax requires?

Josephbw:
Just had a thought, I wonder if the multiple times that the system shut down in the beginning somehow erased the stats from the start up test.

Prostreetamx:

--- Quote from: Josephbw on December 29, 2015, 10:37:16 AM ---

I need to order some speakers and plug adapters, as I forgot when I ordered the system. Overall I'm very pleased with the system. It's going to be hard to go back to the club and operate with the Digitrax system we have there.  :(

--- End quote ---

One big advantage of RailPro is that you can still use your engines on a DCC layout but non of the DCC stuff will work on yours. You will still need to bring your HC-2 though. You fellow club members will probably be jealous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version