General > General Discussion

Facebook Group Vs. This Forum

(1/2) > >>

JRad:
I notice that activity here is way down while there is nearly daily activity on the Facebook group.

While Facebook offers quick responses, I note that the answers given are in many cases wrong.  Facebook folks just love to jump in whether they have anything useful to add or not. Often, a correct answer gets buried in misinformation posted by those that think they have a clue!

Also, searching through previous posts on Facebook does not work well. This is due to their logarithms changing the presentation order to suit the advertisers based on what they know about you.  Here, it's pretty easy to scroll through older posts and search for keywords making the chance of finding an answer fast pretty good.

Perhaps, if those of us on Facebook encourage those seeking answers to come here instead of answering the same questions over and over again, we might see better activity here.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for listening!

gregeusa:
Exactly! The concept of a thread/topic helps the person who asked for help to follow answers on topic.

G8B4Life:
Not saying this wholly applies to the RP farcebook page, because I've never been there and never will to see but society has very much become a "don't bother searching, just ask the same thing that someone probably asked before, and someone asked before that, and someone before that ad infinitium", and social media platforms by design very much excel in reinforcing this type of behavior.

Possibly another factor is the high use of mobile devices instead of desktops for access. I don't know how this version of the forum software goes with being mobile friendly but I suspect it isn't fantastic because of it's age. I know the new version is supposed to be very mobile friendly but that requires a "bit of an upgrade" on Bill's part to run it.

One of the bonuses of using the forum though is the extra stuff you can get here; tutorials/guides, personalised help, tools and software if any happen to be written; the list could really go on.

Anyway, if you think the activity here being way down is sad JRad, A few weeks ago I got to look at the extended information memberlist and the amount of former posting members who haven't logged in here for a year or more is truly sad.

- Tim

CPRail:
Huh. I didn't even know there was a FacelessBook RP group...

I much prefer this format as mentioned by others, you can follow threads, search them, etc.

atsfguy:
I do not utilize the site in question due to the problem mentioned. It is also a great place to have your identity stolen by the scuzballs who prowl its pages, so I leave it for the young who haven’t learned.
Tim, you are correct if you place me in the group who haven’t logged id recently but at my age (82) and having suffered a traumatic brain injury 1-1/2 years ago, I am no longer capable of building/operating a model railroad. I do enjoy the forum and intend to remain part of it until I can no longer function.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version