Author Topic: Using RP modules in older Athearn, Atlas, AHM, RivaRossi engines  (Read 3958 times)

martrain

• Fireman
  • Marty Hess
I have older engines from the 70's and 80's.  Will these older engines draw too much to work with the RP system?
What's the draw limit on an LM-2 module>
Marty

HO Scale B&O and NS after a 30 year break

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Using RP modules in older Athearn, Atlas, AHM, RivaRossi engines
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:22:20 PM »
Some locomotive motors made within the last 10 years can draw as much as 800ma without affecting LM2 performance. I have a very old 1970's Blue Box PA-1 that ran, but with much stalling. The current draw was high, but I can't remember the number. It did not damage the module (an LM-1). I replaced the motor and it has been running fine. I have other 70's steam engines that are also working well.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:37:52 AM »
I asked Tim some time ago what the decoders were rated at, but he wouldn't tell me. He did say that he's had customers running 1 1/2 amps through them without any issues.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »
I have a very old Athearn blue box locomotive with all original internals.  It draws about 700 ma and does just fine.  It's been rocking the same LM-1 for years now and has never had an issue.  I don't think you'll have any real issue with the older locomotives and Railpro.

With the older ones though it is always helpful to clean, lube, and usually tune the gears (particularly old Athearn) in order to get them to run smoothly and quietly.

-Kevin

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »
I have four Atlas/Roco GP38 and GP40's that are hard wired to use LM2S modules. They have been in service for the past two years without any problems. They actually run much better with RailPro than they did on DC. These locos are stock with no modifications only cleaned and lubricated.

Cheers
Mel
Having more fun with RailPro

LW93Rcode

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
I'm 1 for 2 with Blue Box installs, both were SD40-2s. One ran super smooth.  The other kept giving me the drawing too much error when I went to load test it.  It has the athearn typical growl, but it runs with a TCS T1 perfectly fine, so I didn't quite get why it wouldn't run with the railpro module!  Did all the normal blue box tweaks.  I didn't however quite get around to changing the wheels out with Nickel Silver on that one so that could be the issue. 

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:18:30 PM »
I have an old SD9 that I bought back in the 80's for my old layout. Today I started working on it to prepare it for an LM2S. The first thing I did was remove the wheels and axles, separate them, mount the axle stub in a drill, and polish the treads of the wheels with Flitz polish. Then I also polished the axle end that fits in the truck bushing, and cleaned out the bushing. I did all this to promote better electrical conductivity. The wheels came out looking like new Intermountain wheels, nice and shiny.  Then I put together an old Sagami motor and driveline parts to mount to the stock truck drive gears. I also lubed the gears while I had them apart.

As soon as I get my new speakers, I'll see how it works out with the new decoder.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
Well the outcome didn't work out as I expected. The RP parts worked fine, but I had forgotten how noisy the drive train was in that old engine. It almost drowned out the speaker. So I pulled everything out including the drive train and I will demote it to dummy status, which is probably what I should have done to start with. It's been about 30 years since I last ran it, and the memories of it on my old layout didn't include the racket that it makes. Oh well.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »
Generally speaking, if a locomotive runs quietly in DC, it will run quietly in RP. I had at least two other old engines that were fine on DC but just would not run well in RP. I ended up selling them or using them as props.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.