RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

Revisiting our sound handling wish list

(1/4) > >>

G8B4Life:
While poking around the net looking for more things to study, I came across this. ESU is implementing what we were after in sound handling in their decoders but in a way we never dreamed of, and it's impressive.

You only have to watch the first half or so of the video but the rest of the video is still good to watch (that roots blown sound; magic).

I really like what they have done and it should be very easy to implement in software for RailPro.

I can't wait to get one of their new Full Throttle files to study it.

- Tim

Antoine L.:
Yes that's on Bob Fallowfield's layout. A very fine layout by the way.
And yes, that is something we can have to at some point, our product being upgradeable.

Antoine

KPack:
I mimic this by using manual notching.  I have the buttons on my first page right at the bottom in the middle, so I can use them without looking most of the time.  However, it'd be great to mimic the prime mover notching by using a system very similar to what Loksound has done here.

We (the Railpro community) have brought it up to Ring and suggested something very similar to this.  Some sort of a button that allows the speed to remain constant while controlling the "speed" of the prime mover with the throttle wheel.  It would be somewhat easy to implement the functionality of it.  Some coding, some testing, etc.  The issue that we may run into is that the Railpro prime mover recordings do not have recordings of the engine cycling up through several notches at a time (say from notch 1 up through notch 4 smoothly).  I'm not sure if that's something that can be done with the current recordings through software manipulation, or if new recordings are needed.

On that note, Railpro could really benefit from GOOD source recordings.  They are getting better, but many of the older prime mover files (645-20, 645 turbo, GE 7FDL-16, 645 roots) are questionable.  The newer ones like the Alco 539T and EMD 567 are better, but could still benefit from some improvement.  The test file I have of the new GEVO-12 is very nice indeed, just needs some tweaking.  The GEVO-12 was submitted by a fellow Railpro user who recorded a working (pulling a train) locomotive through all 8 notches up and down.  That's what we need more of!  I'm sure there are Railpro users who have access to museums, short lines, etc that could obtain some VERY nice recordings.  Ring Engineering can only do so much at one time, and waiting for them to record and develop new prime mover sounds will make for a long wait.  The more we can do ourselves the sooner we will have top-shelf sounds.

Tim, when you get one of those Full Throttle files, let us know what you find.  It will be helpful to know how they went about it so we can form ideas and present them to Ring.

Really nice layout in that video BTW.

-Kevin

William Brillinger:
I'm not so sure that locking the speed of the loco and then adjusting the sound with the dial is the way to go, but it's an interesting idea.
The units in that video sure do sound great!

I agree with Kevin, some better recordings especially for the older EMD's will go a long way to improving RailPro's ability to mimic real world sound performance using just the notch up and down buttons. Add a coast button and and I think RailPro's sound abilities will be right there.

Tim Ring did indicate to me back in November 2015 that he has new recordings for the EMD 645's.

Hopefully they will come soon.

I think I have come around to Kevins approach regarding momentum though. Turn the momentum effects nearly off and just use the knob to mimic it.

Alan:
Since it is a wish list....

Why not software it to be like the real thing? Enter the tonnage and HP and then the knob becomes a control stand. Let the software work out the motor speed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version