Author Topic: Railpro with DCC on Large Modular Layout  (Read 6048 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Railpro with DCC on Large Modular Layout
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »
I wasn't advocating on ditching your DCC system, in fact I'd rather we made it work side by side well so we can show off how well it works side by side  :)

Yes, the ultimate solution would be a simple RailPro controlled relay module but as I mentioned I wouldn't expect this to be any cheaper than a plain LM-2 or the AM-1; the cost of the radio module to RE would likely be the same. One can certainly hope Tim Ring sees the value in the idea and can make a cost effective one though.

Having had a read of the Snap-it and PSX-AR documentation I would say the best avenue, if you still wanted RailPro control before RE makes a self contained relay module would be using an LM-2 as an accessory module to control the relays. You most certainly can use the function outputs as momentary so they act just like a push button. I'd suggest that you would want to write a basic accessory program to do the control so you could find the relevant modules in the accessories pages instead of the locomotive pages. To write an accessory program you have to pay for that feature in the software though.

You might still have to use the LM to operate transistors (as a simple gate) to drive the relay coils; the LM outputs might not have enough grunt to do it by themselves.

- Tim