Author Topic: Best locomotive(s) to convert to RailPro?  (Read 2838 times)

farmhand

• Fireman
Best locomotive(s) to convert to RailPro?
« on: June 08, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »
What is the best locomotive(s) to convert to RailPro?  I would consider three variables with this question: 1. Simplest to convert. 2. Price point or value. 3. Quality of completed locomotive. 
Thanks
farmhand aka Cliford aka Grampa  :)

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Best locomotive(s) to convert to RailPro?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum Cliford.

I have converted many locos, both diesels and steam engines. In my opinion, steamers are the simplest if they are DCC ready because you can put the module and a speaker in the tender with little fuss. For diesels, the easiest conversion is one with speaker mounts already in place. Atlas has some, ad does Athearn. Unfortunately, it is hard to tell which ones do before you buy them.

DCC ready locos are the easiest. It's mostly plug and play plus two speaker wires to solder. If they are not DCC ready you will have to hard wire them, which is a little more involved.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 11:43:50 PM »
I have converted 8 Stewart/Kato 'F' units so far. These engines were made in the late 1980's and early 1990's. They were a hardwire/soldering conversion, but not that difficult.
The engines responded excellently to the conversion. They run smooth and quiet. Throttle response is excellent.
I used LM-2 as I wasn't interested in sound.

The only engines that I think might not respond well would be the old open frame motors. But that is just a guess.
Dean

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
LM-2 fits easily in HO Atlas FM H15-44, H16-44. Mounts well on original Atlas board holder after clipping off locking tangs that engaged the board.
LM-2 does not fit anywhere inside HO Atlas Alco S1-S4 old tooling.
None of my locomotives have or will have sound. I am tinny sound averse.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro