Author Topic: Prime mover sound files  (Read 6283 times)

SD90

• Fireman
Prime mover sound files
« on: July 18, 2016, 03:33:54 AM »
What prime mover sound files does RailPro currently have?
I'm interested in the 567, 645, 710 and GE AC4400, is there a sound sample anywhere? I'm slowly building my roster of DCC ready locomotives, so I haven't committed to any control system yet!

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Prime mover sound files
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »
Here is a current list of sound files from RailPro:  http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?topic=18.msg141

I just checked and the list is still current.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:01:28 PM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »
The 567 is a good file.  645 Roots is passable and will work until an updated file is recorded.  The 645 Turbo is not very good.  The 645-20 is better and actually sounds closer to a 645 turbo than the other file does.  The 710 is okay....not bad, not great.  The GE 7FDL-16 is also okay.

Most of the older prime mover files need to be replaced.  It's my understanding that Ring has new recordings for most of the EMD's and just needs to create the full prime mover files.  The newer files (567 for example) are much better.

A new GEVO file is pretty much done and should hopefully be released soon.

-Kevin

SD90

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:44:38 PM »
Is there a file that I can listen to?

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
On Ring Engineering's webpage it has a sample of the 645 Roots: http://ringengineering.com/LM-3S.htm.  Go about 1/3 of the way down and there is a "Diesel Sounds Sample" button.  Keep in mind that this is being played through much better speakers than what your locomotive will have.  Model railroad sounds always sound better on real speakers.

I also made a video of the GEVO prime mover beta.  It is played from the locomotive (4 speakers) and is recorded via a plain cell phone:
I believe Ring is working on adjusting some of the volumes and cleaning up the file a bit.  Also there should be new air release and compressor sounds when the final version is released.

-Kevin

SD90

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »
Other than the start, that sounds more like a tractor than a GEVO.  :-\ :'(

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 05:58:32 PM »
Other than the start, that sounds more like a tractor than a GEVO.  :-\ :'(

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but that is indeed what a GEVO sounds like.  The entire file was recorded from a prototype ES44, which was the lone locomotive on a relatively heavy train, with no wind.  The locomotive was taken through startup/shutdown, and all 8 notches with all transitions.  What you are listening to is a GEVO prime mover under load.  The beta is too loud on idle/notch 1 and the looping needs some work on that notch, but the others are good (though perhaps the lower notches could be cleaned up a bit).  Notch 4+ is where it really starts to get into the classic "sound" of a GEVO.  Notch 7 and 8 has the faint whine of the turbo that seems to come out on the upper notches of GE's.  They did a nice job of capturing the turbo "hanging" as it notches down from 8 to 7, and 7 to 6.  Hard to pick out in the video though.

I'll be the first to say that I feel Ring's GEVO sound to be superior to any other out there, including Loksound.

-Kevin

SD90

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:30:02 PM »
The only other one I've heard is LOK sound, I know Ring has the ability to improve their prime mover sounds, but right now, that is the only thing holding me back from going with RailPro as a control system. It seems like I either go with RailPro for extreme ease of use and amazing interface, but sacrifice sound, or go with a DCC system and deal with headaches from CV's and programming but have fantastic realistic sounds.
At least I don't have to decide yet, I'm still in the planning and construction stage.

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/loksound-select/loksound-select-usa/?tx_esudecoderprojects_pi1%5Bpage%5D=3&cHash=2be90b8daa4c528a76aa9e8ee4880172

Would ESU have their sounds copyrighted? Is there a way to save them as a Ring sound file?

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 08:37:09 PM »
I'm sure the Loksound files are copyrighted. The Ring prime movers aren't perfect, but they're not that bad either. Realistic sound files are important, but certainly not important enough to make me switch to DCC. 😫
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »
It really isn't wise, or fair to be comparing current technology LokSound to current technology RailPro. I'll state it again as I have done many times, LokSound have been making sound decoders since 1999 and are up to their 4th major version of sound decoders. Ring has been making sound modules for about 5/6 years (the earliest reference I can find for RailPro is Oct 30 2011) so they are about 11 years behind.

I also think listening to a recording of a recording (which is what you are doing when you play Kevin's video) can be misleading to your ears. If you heard the sound directly with your own ears in person I think you'd have a different experience.

I haven't read the EULA for LokSound sound files but since they own the format then yes they would be under copyright. No, there is no way to use the sound files.

I have to agree with Al's sentiments, Even though Rings sound is not on the same page as those who've been doing it the longest, it's not a reason for me to go back to DCC.

- Tim

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
Hi Group,

I'm one of the two guys that Bill Brillinger seduced over to RailPro and have just started my installations. In fact, I've even convinced my Old Man to join the fold!

As I model CP Rail in the early 80's, ALCO/MLWs are an important part of the Motive Power equation.

I see that back in November 2015, Bruce Rogers mentioned that he was working on 244 & 251 prime mover sound files. I'm just wondering what the status may be on those files, especially with my fleet of M636s soon to arrive from Bowser (supposedly due 2016)!

Also, is there a 567 Turbo sound file? I have a GP35 that's just begging to be converted next!

Cheers,
Ian Lisakowski
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 07:46:05 AM »
Hi Ian,

I also await Bowsers M636's; though I have a lot of mods to do to them that will start adding up. oh well... I also have some C630's and C636's that need that ALCo engine.

Bruce hasn't made a post since that discussion back in November 2015 so we don't know what the status is unfortunately. We can only hope he did submit the sounds, gave permission for them to be available for everyone and RE just hasn't gotten around to them yet.

Your out of luck with with a turbo 567 as well.

- Tim