General > General Discussion

Any RailPro Problems?

(1/3) > >>

TwinStar:
RPUG:

Have any of you experienced loss of control/communication, uncommanded movement, or runaway trains while using RailPro?

I haven't nor have I heard of any such event. Given that our user group here has expanded considerably I wanted to pose the question.

Thanks.

Jacob Damron
Texas

Josephbw:
The only problem I've had is my first HC-2 developed a bunch of horizontal lines across the screen. I sent it into Ring, they promptly repaired it and sent me 2 pair of wired trucks for my cabeese for free, for my trouble. They said it was a manufacturing defect, and was not caused by me.

Very impressed with Tim and the gang.

Joe

KPack:
With release-candidate software I've experienced no issues, ever.  When beta-testing software I've run into things....and that's what beta-testing is for.  All the issues get cleared up before the software is released globally.

I've only had good experiences with Direct Radio.  Much faster response than DCC (especially "wireless" DCC), smoother control, and no dropped signals in my experience.

-Kevin

William Brillinger:
I've had "loss of control" but that was from 45' away from the loco I was running and around a corner and with a power supply between the loco and the controller. Once I moved about 5ft closer it was all good again. Now that I changed the orientation of the power supply I can be even further away without problems. I got the idea to look at the power supply after reading one of Alan's posts here on the forum.

I had an HC-2 appear dead after sitting unused for a long time. After about an hour on the charger when I checked it, I started to get worried, but it came back after being left on the charger for a several hours. When the battery goes completely flat it can take hours on the charger before it begins to respond again.

The only other problem I've had was a loco picture and name disappearing from the HC but it's space still being occupied. This happened after renaming a locomotive. It couldn't be selected or removed. I sent the HC in to Ring Engineering and it was back in short order, all fixed up. Excellent service from Tim!

G8B4Life:
I think I know where this question is coming from. Jacob will correct me if I'm wrong.

There has been quite a bit of discussion by the Free-mo people about wireless throttle issues; loss of control, uncommanded movement, runaways etc etc. All of these wireless issues are on the DigiTrax system that Free-mo uses. Now the issue (for me anyway) is after Jacob mentioned that he's not ever seen any of these types of issues with RailPro some have dragged RailPro down by stating that it would suffer the same problems anyway just by being wireless, even though none of these people have ever used it.

Unfortunately I don't think we can say with complete certainty that RailPro wouldn't have issues; we've never had a whole bunch of them use in the same place before, all competing for bandwidth at the same time; along with any other devices present in the same radio spectrum.

I wonder if Ring's ever done any tests along these lines?

- Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version