Author Topic: Lost engine after light rework.  (Read 7897 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Lost engine after light rework.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 07:19:30 AM »
Should I be offering a controller Rental for these situations?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »
Bill's new business venture - RailPro Rentals Ltd  ;D

Should I be offering a controller Rental for these situations?

Kevin, you didn't say what you were doing when this happened. It sounds like to me that the memory in the LM, possibly the HC as well is more easily corruptible than we might have thought. Beta software can cause corruption for sure but you weren't using any so I wonder if you might have been programming the module and broke the 2 foot rule? I know we have feedback from modules when running but when programming I don't know. There might not be a good mechanism in place to check whether files have been transferred byte for byte or if settings have been saved correctly, and a greater distance the transmitter from the receiver the greater chance of misread/dropped/bad bytes.

What I find strange is that there is not mechanism to reset a module back to "default" (something that DCC mostly enjoys), and to a lessor extent a way to back up and restore your HC. Both would be very handy.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
What I find strange is that there is not mechanism to reset a module back to "default" (something that DCC mostly enjoys), and to a lessor extent a way to back up and restore your HC. Both would be very handy.

If the controllers and modules keep coming back to Tim, I would think he would eventually adapt the firmware to be able to do a factory reset. For now, he probably wants to find out what is causing this problem, so he has them returned to him.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:53:07 AM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.