Author Topic: No Instructions Required  (Read 3266 times)

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
No Instructions Required
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:08:43 PM »
Tim, an out-of-state friend, visited over the Labor Day weekend. He has never ran trains before. I handed him the HC and asked if he needed instructions. He looked at the screen for a minute and said "No, I think I've got this." A few minutes later he says "This momentum deal is cool." As our trains met at a siding he asks "Can you put two locomotives together on the same train?" Sure, I said. I cut off my train and pulled onto the main behind Tim's train. My locomotive in number 202. Take control and nudge it onto the back of your train. Once it's hooked then consist it with your locomotive I said. That's all that was needed. Tim figured out consisting, got it set up right, and had a train with a helper moving on down the line with no instructions whatsoever.

Mind you, Tim is a 60 year old guy not some young smart phone kid. He is as old school as they come.

How easy is RP when an ole timer can figure out how to run a train with helper without any instructions? And in short order. Eat you heart out DCC people!
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: No Instructions Required
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:26:27 PM »
Thumbs Up Alan!!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:33:10 PM »
I'm 75 and certainly "old school". I just get by with computers, I turn it on and do what I need to do and then shut it off.

After getting my Railpro starter set, it took me about an hour to get it all up and running, no problems whatsoever, and after three years of operation I have yet to have a problem. This is testament to the ease of installation and operation of RailPro, I can say for sure that a capable 12 year old could set up this system with the instructions in the handbook, and get it operational without resorting to any outside help.

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 07:22:35 AM »
Right on Alan! I've been preaching this stuff for almost 5 years. Never owned DCC, never will.  ;)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:55:14 PM »
I'm 68 and just got my first smart phone, which I hate. I have DCC for a few years and it's okay, but can be complicated and confusing. The only CVs I set are CV2 to CV6. The rest are over complicated.
RailPro has been a joy to play with. Simple instructions and very intuitive to operate. I wish I had found it sooner.
Dean