Author Topic: Engines stalling "Dirty Track"  (Read 3597 times)

SWA737

• Engineer
Engines stalling "Dirty Track"
« on: October 04, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »
 I am having several problem areas on my railroad with engine stalls. But what I'm seeing on "dead rail" and "battery" Treads,  I am not the only one.   I think most of the areas are where I have cleaned the track with too much abrasion. Looking at going to an auto body shop and getting some 4000 grit sand paper and trying to buff out the bad areas. Any thoughts on that process? And also, after doing so, any type of electrical conditioner to be applied on the rail heads for protection? I have cleaned the wheels on the engines and still having some issues. I have 20 engines converted with the LM-2's  thanks to Kevin Packard's fantastic work.  I'm pretty sure that is my problem. In talking with Tim at ring engineering, he confirmed with me that the black  carbon that I'm picking up on recently cleaned rail heads is in fact microscopic Sparks due too rough track making the connections that much worse.  Any thoughts on track conditioning is very welcomed until stay alive or battery power is more possible.
Thanks, Rob Cooper

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Engines stalling "Dirty Track"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 06:06:13 PM »
Graphite!

Before doing anything drastic or labour intensive, try this...

Get a cheap stick of Graphite from the local art store and lightly apply it to the track in problem areas.
I think you'll find the problems gone.

- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

SWA737

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 06:46:37 PM »
Thanks Bill. I will pick one up tomorrow.
Rob

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »
***Remember - only apply a very light amount!

It does not need much, and too much will affect traction on grades.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:37:16 PM »
And make sure track power is off before laying a graphite stick across it.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »
I use only a dry cloth for track cleaning. Now and then I will run a cleaning car around between cleanings. From all I have read, sandpaper is not recommended. The black muck (oxidation) that comes off during cleaning can get caught in tiny grooves on the rail which are caused by sandpapering.

RailPro powered track will generally stay cleaner than DCC powered track.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:09:43 PM »
Abrasives of any sort are bad news. So are plastic wheels. Avoid both.

My routine:
  • Tightly wrap a fine weave cotton cloth (tee shirt material) around a small block of wood. Lightly dampen with lacquer thinner. Push it on the rails around the layout.
  • Use a pencil eraser on any visibly oxidized spots.
  • Vacuum. Cheapie handheld vac works well because it doesn't have much suction.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro