Author Topic: Something to read while waiting  (Read 2523 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Something to read while waiting
« on: October 12, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
Now that I am waiting the arrival of the goodies with not much to do, surfing the web, I ran across some very interesting articles at MRH website. Lots of thoughts, mostly good comments about using RailPro.

I am learning a lot in short order as I only started this adventure last month. I did my research and read everything I could and really thought this is the way to go. I know DCC was bumping up against it's limits of usability as NMRA is promoting LCC to hold on to the past but after 20 years and will most likely go on a little longer but times have to change as that is the way it is.

So here I am trying to stay ahead of the curve but this is the present and I am determined to have fun.

I'll be watching the mail on Saturday for the load of goodies. Till then, happy training y'all.

The old fardt in Ory-gun   Darryl   ###########

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Something to read while waiting
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 08:32:28 AM »
Because DCC uses the track as a physical bus there are practical limits to clocking speed. Same basic problem phone companies have when trying to pass hi speed Internet over copper phone wires. The electrical characteristics of the pathway sets the upper boundary of frequency. RailPro obviously does not suffer from the same since there is no physical bus. RP clock frequency is limited only by the broadcast frequency which, for all practical purposes, is immaterial.

LCC attempts to address this problem by removing the track from the pathway. With conventional twisted pair wiring the LCC clock speed can be much higher. Even at the same clock speed a second bus doubles capacity. I personally see it as a sloppy band aid fix. How much packet traffic is there really for accessories. The heavy network traffic is locomotive control. For this reason I can't see LCC relieving all that much load from the primary DCC bus. You nailed it Darryl, DCC is trying to hold onto the past.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 03:43:45 PM »
Just did a little reading up on LCC. Seems complicated and expensive. Separate power supplies, more wiring, more devices, and a controller that only controls devices? Plus some kind of command station?
RailPro sounds better, even if you only use it for 'devices'.
Dean

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »
RailPro sounds better, even if you only use it for 'devices'.

We know ;)
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.