Author Topic: Brain work out  (Read 2254 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Brain work out
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »
 Hi all,

I sure am getting my control system, brain, a good exercise for there have been a few tough spots in converting my engines and having to figure the solutions but I am really enjoying the adventure.

Yesterday I was getting an old NJ International switch machine on the layout, it is brand new in the box, and somehow when I wired it up to change the frog power when the switch motor moved, I forgot the two tabs that are underneath should be bent up away from the frame. Anyway Bingo !!! The light on the AM-1 went from green to red and so did the power supply, instantly. Hmmm, these sure do save having that funny smell that I used to get in the past. I'll testify that I have done that a few times.

All in all, there is no going back as this system, RP is the icing on the cake.

And finally, my friend came over yesterday and he looked amazed on how nifty this system works. He was unsure he could handle it as he still uses DC power but I told he I would help him through all of the changes that have to be made. So that might or might not happen as I can see where all of these challenges would not be for the faint of heart.

And the road goes on forever ##########  Cheers, Darryl

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Brain work out
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 05:37:27 PM »
Darryl, glad you are enjoying the system.  After I got started with Railpro several years ago I found I could never go back to DCC.  Just a week or two ago I operated on a good friend's layout who runs Digitrax, and it reminded me of why I made the switch in the first place.  The op session was a blast, but controlling trains with DCC just doesn't compare to Railpro.  Lots of issues with the throttles dropping communication with the command station, some issues with consists, and two non-responsive (possibly blown) decoders.  After the ops session was over I had a chance to run some equipment that I had brought.  I ran a 4 unit consist....3 up front and 1 DPU with about 25-30 cars.  Probably 18-20 feet in length.  No hiccups at all and it was buttery smooth. 

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Brain work out
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:34:45 PM »
Darryl, if your friend's locomotives run well in DC, they will likely run just as well in RailPro. Also keep in mind that Tim Ring is very responsive to any issues that you or he might have.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.