Author Topic: AM-1 Specifications  (Read 3434 times)

melarson

AM-1 Specifications
« on: October 21, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
I have read the instruction manual that is online at the Ring website and I have searched this group's postings and have been unable to find the information I seek.  Thought I would start here before contacting Ring.

Can anyone report on what the O1 through O8 output current rating is on the AM-1.  I know for stall motors it doesn't need to be much, around 40 or 50mA while traveling, less while stalled.  But I am certain the outputs must be able to handle more than that as they are also capable of driving snap motors.  I'm hoping for a minimum rating of around 200mA.  In actuality I am in need of the output to be capable of 150mA for about one to one and a half seconds.  I don't have an AM-1 (yet) and so am hoping that any literature that comes with it states this output current spec.

Many thanks.

Dean

• Conductor
Re: AM-1 Specifications
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:52:40 AM »
I don't know what the output current is, but I use the outputs to cycle a relay. There is a thread http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,261.0.html about it's use.
Hope this helps.

http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,261.0.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:54:54 AM by Dean »
Dean

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
It would be good if RE put this type of information in their literature, I wish I knew why they don't put important technical information like that in.

I'd say ask Ring (and then ask why he doesn't put that information in) as the only thing I can come up with is by doing calculations from the info that is given for snap switches. I would say that these are very much momentary ratings for snap switches and I wouldn't rely on them at all.

Input: 15V
Coil resistance (snap switch): 3.6 ohms
Power = 4.1 Amps (62.5W)

Input: 15V
Coil resistance (snap switch): 20 ohms
Power = 750mA (11.25W)

If you get an answer from RE, please post it here at RPUG for us all. If the AM-1 can't deliver enough you can use it to drive a relay like Dean has or drive a transistor (like in the old DC throttle days) and deliver the current that way. Not elegant but a solution.

- Tim

melarson

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »
I received a reply from Ring today.  Here is the relevant info snipped from that reply:

Also the 150mA current is not a problem for the AM-1.

So, while it answers my specific question (it can directly drive a load drawing 150mA), it doesn't answer the broader question, which is "What is the maximum current rating of the outputs?"

It appears I will need to procure an AM-1 to do some testing.  Wasn't planning on it this early on in the progression of my module building, but since eventually I'll need four of them, I might as well take the plunge.

My original question was prompted by the discovery of an alternative turnout motor to the big green or blue motors.  The product I found is much smaller, simpler, and less expensive.  I bought one to test it and I am impressed with their design and operation.  You can read about them here: http://www.modelrailroadcontrolsystems.com/mp1-switch-motor/.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:14:27 PM »
 Michael

I have one of those on order as it just might be a simple item to install and use. I mount everything on top of my layout, no bumping my head or giving my knees a fit. I chatted on the phone with the dealer and he gave me answers to all my questions. I'll report on my take after receiving one of those contraptions. 

Cheers, Darryl in Ory-Gun

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »
Dean

melarson

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
If you get an answer from RE, please post it here at RPUG for us all.

While I had Tim Ring on the phone yesterday (for another issue) I took the opportunity to ask about the max current output rating for the AM-1.  He said it can safely supply 500mA.  Clearly more than enough to run the MP-1 (@150mA).

If using a PWR-56 to power the AM-1, keep in mind that any load you connect to the output (motors included) must be able to handle 14 volts, while drawing 500mA or less.  If you can stay at or under both of those parameters you should be golden.

Michael