Author Topic: Experiment in terror  (Read 7462 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Experiment in terror
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:39:52 PM »
 I was trying use the AM-1 accessory to run my NJ International switch machines or at least I made the attempt to with no fan fair. Not enough juice to work the machine. Now I tried my Tam Valley DCC booster which has more power and using the AM-1. Well, so far so good as the light on the AM-1 went to green and the booster showed some lights.  Bummer, the switch motor kind of wanted to move when powered but alas the red light came on the AM-1... Back to the research board.

I just might have to use my old, really old, Scale Shops screw drive switch machines. They use very little current to make the screw move.     Cheers, Darryl  ###########

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Experiment in terror
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »
Are those the old NJ Twin Coil switch machines?
Do you know what their resistance rating is?

From the manual: Snap switch resistance must be between 3.6 and 20 Ohms. Never use
a switch with more than 20 ohms unless it can have power applied
continuously without damage.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »
Sounds like two small inexpensive relays is all you need.
Set the AM-1 for 3 wire snap switch. Run one output wire from the AM-1 positive to one relay coil and the negative to the other relay coil, with with the common to both relay coils. Supply one relay normally open contact in each relay with power from your power supply. Connect the other side of the contact to the switch machine, one relay to each coil. Supply a common to the switch machine common.
Now you can use the AM-1 to control the switch machine without over loading it.
I hope my explanation makes sense.
Small glass relays with sockets can be picked for cheap on E Bay or Amazon.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:17:57 AM by Dean »
Dean

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:25:08 PM »
  Here's the thing, not to give up yet. I remembered I had a number of Ken Stapleton's ( Canada ) kits that were used to control with caps in the system to throw twin coils like NJ International switch machines. Although this system has a toggle switch on the board, that can be removed and just run wire to the AM-1. But the thing, where did I put those rascals?

I'll be back #######  Darryl

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »
 I did find the system but in the process of searching, I found another system that surely should work. NCE  ' Snap-It ' .   I'll see how that works later on today as the wife has other plans for me to go shopping.

Cheers, Darryl

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
I use the NCE Snap-it with RailPro. Check this thread.  http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,261.0.html

But you will still need a relay to act like a push button.
Dean

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »
Y'all

Okay, here is the thing, I need a good supplier/dealer for MP-1 as the one I tried in California has held me up on my order for 26 days and can't fill my order in full. I can use more of the little gems but where is a seller when you need one?

Any help would be very nice and most appreciated.

Cheers, Darryl

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
according to the MTB website, this MP-1 product is "cancelled".
http://www.mtb-model.com/prodej/index.php?lang=en&page=produkty_detail&id=5

Looks like it is replaced by the MP-5
http://www.mtb-model.com/pages/mp5.php?lang=en

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 11:44:05 AM »
Bill 

Yup the same guy that I tried to buy from but he could not completely fill my order and other problems during that long wait, 26 days and counting !

How ironic, have money but no place to spend it at least with MP-1 or MP-5......  Just got to be another seller out there?

I just found out about the MP-5 and it will even be a better item for our use with the extra contacts plus the added adjustable throw from three positions to four.

"the road goes on forever"

Darryl

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 09:10:02 PM »
Why not use a tortoise switch machine?
Dean

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »
  Good idea as I thought about that switch machine but, and it is a big but, all of my wiring is on top of my layout, not one wire or anything else is under the table, nada, zilch, nothing except the wood frame and most likely I'll never have a need to look at it again.. I use two inch pink foam on top of a wood frame and I have cut trenches where wire must go and then covered it with scenery. I hide other things like the new MP-1 in buildings and some of the RP items there too. Hey it works for me and my body really likes that for no bending over or bumping my head and that does hurt or at least it used too. Ever find a nail or a screw the hard way?

So now since I have my hands on some MP-1s and they are easy to hide on top of my layout plus they really do work great, I am going to find who has the new MP-5s.

Anyone have a clue?

The old fardt in Oregon, Darryl

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 07:35:12 AM »
One other alternative: Mini servers are easy to hide in the foam too.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 07:39:20 AM »
Darryl, If you really want the MTB motors, you may have to go overseas for them.

I suggest contacting the sellers on the MTB Dealer Page:
http://www.mtb-model.com/pages/prodejci.php?lang=en

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »
  Hi Bill

I've chased down every possible way to find a seller in the USA or CA other than the one in Northern California. NONE... I guess I'll have to see if he will try to bring the MP-5 into the States?  Hey ! You care to be a dealer for these? I would but I retired over 25 years ago besides I don't need the money, who said that?

So if this method of switch control MP-1,5 is hard to get, I will try something else. No problem here.

Chat later, Darryl
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:53:16 PM by darryl.trains »