Author Topic: Piece of cake this time  (Read 3847 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Piece of cake this time
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:20:50 PM »
 My AM-1S is on the way and I am ready for this latest toy for me to enjoy.

I have a bunch of LED's and resisters for a lighting project with my Sawmill and then add the Sawmill sounds.

Golly gee wiz,  my plate never seems to get empty and that is just fine with me.

Maybe I'll run an engine one of these days but I like fiddling with electronics etc.

Y'all having phun?  Cheers, Darryl

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Re: Piece of cake this time
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »

Howdy all,

This morning I received two goodies.

One was the AM-1S of which will be put to work this evening. Lights ready to burn er light !
One other item is MRCS Model Railway Switch Motor MP1.  Sure is a very small control unit 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/4 give or take a fraction.

I can tell you I am having the time of my life with all these new fangled electronic-electrical and mechanical toys. Yippie

Cheers, Darryl in Ory-Gun

melarson

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:02 AM »
Darryl,

If you are going to connect the MP-1 to the AM-1S, you should follow the connection diagram for a 3-wire snap motor.  For example, the AM-1S OP1 connects to the MP-1 (+)COM, the AM-1S O1 connects to the MP-1 poz1, and the AM-1S O2 connects to the MP-1 poz2.  IMPORTANT: For this to work you will need to set the AM-1S Switch Type to "Motor Operated."

Have a blast, and let us know how it goes!

Michael

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:05:52 AM »
Darryl,

It seems from your posts that RailPro has given you somewhat of a new lease on the hobby. I'm glad to see that. I think most of us have gotten the new lease after going to RailPro.

If you are going to connect the MP-1 to the AM-1S

Remember folks, the AM-1S is not for turnouts, that's the job of the AM-1 (no sound). It might be possible to hook the MP-1 up the an AM-1S using the MRCS Remote Stall Motor Controller (RSMC) but I wouldn't bother trying it, unless your really into problem solving and electronics.

- Tim

melarson

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »
Remember folks, the AM-1S is not for turnouts...

My apologies, I was unaware of this.  I hope it did not cause any problems.  Many thanks to Tim for setting me straight.

It's too bad, though.  I thought it would be cool to throw a turnout with accompanying sounds, but with the PWM output of the AM-1S that would indeed be a challenge.

Michael

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 11:41:12 AM »
 Thanks fellows for the helpful hints very much. I really appreciate any and all comments whether good, bad or ugly.  :)

I will be for now just using the AM-1S for lighting and some sawmill sounds.

I was thinking of connecting the AM-1 for controlling the new switch machine MP-1 and see how that works. The fellow I bought this MP-1 from in California has been most helpful too by sending some written notes to aid in its use.

Lots of experimenting to see what works or not.  Nothing smoked up yet !     Having phun #########

Cheers, Darryl

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 07:19:35 PM »
 Michael and all,

I decided to give the MP-1 switch machine a trial run today.

At first, nothing happened after connecting the wires to their proper places. Double checked all connections and touched the switch button, picture, and still nothing. Then it dawned on me, duh, I forgot the enter 'motor' on the handheld. That did the trick.
You know that little MP-1 really works nice. It makes just a wee bit of gear noise when moving but I like that as it is just a short time and then you know something is working.

So now I do believe I'll have some other switch machines to peddle on eBay along with the DCC decorders as I am sold on these MP-1 switch machines as well as RailPro too. Looks like I'll be buying these MP-1 in bulk, better price too,  as I only bought one to try it out.

Just can't get any better than this, can it?

Cheers, Darryl along the rails ##########

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:41:42 PM by darryl.trains »