Author Topic: What frequency does Rail Pro drive their motors at?  (Read 3363 times)

passenger1955

• Fireman
What frequency does Rail Pro drive their motors at?
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »
Hi. I'm trying to decide on a train control system and am contemplating Rail Pro. I had a question. Does Rail Pro use a high-frequency ultrasonic PWM to drive the motors (16 kHz or higher)? Or does it run the motors at a lower frequency (< 500 hz). I know many DCC decoders are higher frequency these days (for silent operation). If Rail Pro does drive the motors at the higher frequency, can anyone please tell me what tools/adjustments does Rail Pro give you to help you tune the PID (so the loco operates smoothly at slow speeds). I appreciate any information you may have on the topic.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:26:56 PM by passenger1955 »

hirailer

• Engineer
Re: What frequency does Rail Pro drive their motors at?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:32:46 PM »
Although layout wiring for RailPro is the same as DCC, that is where the similarity ends. Railpro does not send commands to the locomotive through the track like DCC does, so frequency is not an issue for RailPro. Commands from the handheld controller are sent to the locomotive module via radio frequency, voltage on the track is for power only. Start speeds are adjustable on the controller as well as momentum. A low speed enhance function can be selected on the controller.

Smooth starts are not a problem for me, I run some stock 30 year old Atlas/Roco that give me smooth starts, if not, it is always the locomotive that is at fault, not Railpro.

Maybe other users can elaborate more on your question.

Mel

Having more fun with RailPro

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: What frequency does Rail Pro drive their motors at?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:35:23 AM »
I believe the OP is referring to the frequency of the module square wave output to the motor. I don't know the answer but it seems a quick check with an oscilloscope would reveal. I hear no PWM "buzzing" from my RailPro equipped locos and the slow speed operation is very good so it would seem, whatever the frequency, it is high enough.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro