Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 2520 times)

leftcoastadv

• Brakeman
Another newbie
« on: December 18, 2016, 01:02:47 PM »
Hey guys..... I'm looking for some guidance, opinions, help, etc. I've never run DCC and barely ran a DC train about 20 years ago. Just a simple HO roundie-round. Nothing fancy. Since then I haven't touched a model train. But know is the time to put together a small home based layout.  I just ran across Railpro and from what I've been reading it sounds like the bees knees.

I guess my main question is where do I start? Does anyone have some reading material they can point me towards? I'm gonna have to start from the beginning.

I'm not trying to model any specific railroad or era. This is just gonna be mainly a switching layout to start with. Maybe 2-3 locos.

So any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. - Ryan

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »
Ryan, I was in your shoes about five years ago. I was looking for a system other than DC to run trains. My first experience was with DCC in a club I had then joined and still belong to,  and it was horrible. When I found RailPro, I did extensive research and ultimately decided that it was the way to go. I have not regretted it since. You can start at the Ring Engineering website (  http://www.ringengineering.com/  ) and go from there using Google. I'm sure others will chime in here. Good luck!
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »
There are two ways to get started in Railpro:

1.) Buy the starter pack that comes with the power supply and the controller, as well as a couple of locomotive modules.

2.) Buy the power supply, a couple locomotive modules, and a CI-1.  The CI-1 is a USB device that turns your computer into a controller.  It is initially less expensive to go this route, but eventually you will probably want a controller, especially if you are running on other layouts.

Look around on Youtube for videos of Railpro.  I have several on there, and there are some from others as well.  That will at least give you an idea of the interface and capabilities.

-Kevin

Edavis

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »
ok I just read what kpack said to left.So I can get the power and modules and the CI-1 to start with and get Hc controller later.?