Author Topic: Question  (Read 2247 times)

DaveB

• Fireman
Question
« on: January 04, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »
Hello. Thanks for letting me be a part of this forum. My son (age 12) and I are building a Ho scale layout. We have DC and were looking into changing to DCC until I found Railpro. I like everything I have read and seen so far. The question is - what engine make is the most compatible with Railpro?  Was looking to buy a SD40 and a ES44. Thanks, Dave

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
Dave, glad you found Railpro before you became involved in DCC.  I've done both and will not go back.

To answer your question, any locomotive that has a "DCC-Ready" plug is extremely easy to install Railpro in.  All you do is plug the railpro module into the DCC-Ready plug and you are done. 

Railpro can be installed in any locomotive, but some take more work.  Larger locomotives are easier....an SD40-2 or a ES44 would be easy.

Look through the various threads on installs and you'll learn a lot.  I made a video awhile ago going through a simple install in an Athearn ES44.,.. Should be easy to look up on YouTube.

Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:18:56 AM »
As Kevin says, fitment into any large locomotive is generally easy. 6 axle of any make/model should be no problem. Be aware small diesel with narrow hoods or small steam no tender (tank) may be challenging. The RP module is slightly bigger than a typical DCC module so it can be difficult to fit into cramped spaces. I know getting a RP module to fit inside my Atlas S1 (2,3,4) switchers required extensive modifications because the hood is so narrow and cab so small.

Not so much a RailPro related opinion but for what it is worth... I prefer Atlas locos for their smooth running drivetrains. Other manufacturers also make smooth running locos. It just seems to be hit-or-miss. Every Atlas loco I have runs smooth and quiet with RP.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro