Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 11117 times)

WilliamWilliams

• Brakeman
Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 07:07:10 AM »
Found a picture online. Conjured up great memories for me from a long time ago. Reminded me again why I play with trains today.

mrc-model-500-throttlepack-vintage-ho_1_f50688f352e176f4453be31436758e7e.jpg
Oh wow! It reminded me also. I love this. Thank for refreshing my memories.

Tunmtr

• Brakeman
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
HEY THERE - SPEAKING OF POWER SUPPLIES - I LOOKING FOR ONE MORE OF THE PWR-75 - IF ANYBODY HAS ONE - I'LL BUY YOU 2 NEW PWR-56'S FOR YOUR PWR-75 ! i'LL PAY THE SHIPPING ! ROD LODER 503-551-9611

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 09:19:46 PM »
Mine is not for sale or trade, but you’ve piqued my curiosity as to why you need the PWR75?
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

AnthonyBrunner

• Brakeman
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »
Found a picture online. Conjured up great memories for me from a long time ago. Reminded me again why I play with trains today.

mrc-model-500-throttlepack-vintage-ho_1_f50688f352e176f4453be31436758e7e.jpg
Oh wow! It reminded me also. I love Agoc Travel. Thank for refreshing my memories.
WOW after seeing this gadget my memories have also been refreshed. It reminded me of my childhood days when my father was using it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:31:34 PM by AnthonyBrunner »

Nanthai 02

• Brakeman
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 05:53:09 PM »
Oh wow this is very similar to some of the old electronic machines we used in our childhood.
I highly suggest this testogen review

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2022, 04:18:22 PM »
I had that one on my HO layout circa 1967
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

carpediem4570

• Fireman
  • Back into HO after a 50 year hiatus.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2022, 07:38:12 PM »
Good evening:

I just bought a rolling track to use as a test track, in Ho.  I thought one had to use the pwr56 as the power source to program the engines.  You are saying one can use a wall wart for power and use The hc2, to program the engine without issue?

To take this one step further, can I solder the leads from the wall wart to my track and use this for power, using the hc2 to run my locomotives?

Excuse my ignorance.  At 63, I am trying to broaden my knowledge of electronics.

Kind regards,

Max

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 12:45:14 AM »
I just bought a rolling track to use as a test track, in Ho.  I thought one had to use the pwr56 as the power source to program the engines.  You are saying one can use a wall wart for power and use The hc2, to program the engine without issue?

To take this one step further, can I solder the leads from the wall wart to my track and use this for power, using the hc2 to run my locomotives?

Yes, and Yes. RailPro uses PODC (Plain Old DC) so a wall wart that outputs DC at the appropriate voltage will power your RailPro locomotives, however you need to be mindful of a few things, namely:
  • Output capacity. Most generic wall warts aren't going to have much more capacity than 1 to 1.5 amps, you won't control much with that.
  • Regulated or not regulated. If you want to use a wall wart for powering RailPro the wall wart should be regulated. This means as you use more power the output voltage stays the same. If it isn't regulated you could expect the voltage to drop quite a lot when you actually run locomotives, or the voltage to be significantly higher that stated without a load present.
  • Output voltage. Needs to be in the safe range for RailPro. Again the point about regulation needs to be bought up.
I don't know if anyone here is using wall warts for power but certainly some are using other types of (quality) power supplies instead of the PWR-56.

- Tim

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 10:51:23 AM »
Find a laptop power supply of the desired voltage and current, they are regulated, and can be found cheap.

The improvement in operation using a regulated supply is noticeable in most cases, and often an unregulated supply can cause issues, as this thread dates from 2017.
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

Reena 04

• Brakeman
    • legal steroids gnc
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2022, 02:21:54 PM »
These seems quite good in quality.