Author Topic: Problem with RailPro Assistant Upgrade  (Read 19996 times)

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Problem with RailPro Assistant Upgrade
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
I shudder to think what it would be like if we didn't have Tim the RP software expert in the group.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 10:11:20 PM »
Alan, you'll make me blush  ;). I don't think I provide anything too special but I am very glad what I do know has been a help to others.

Jeff, I am very happy that it's all working now. What we have achieved is our first known working RPA through Parallels on Mac install so we now know that it works. With that, your not allowed to leave here now ;) Your experience in setting up Parallels will be helpful to any others that come here looking for help on the subject.

oh and yes, I was right I am on the other side of the world to you. I'm in Australia.

- Tim

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 05:36:54 AM »
Yes, I'm glad the other Tim is around and as he says I'm locked in now. I expect to learn a lot more from everyone on this group.

Thanks again for all your help. Especially Tim.

-jeff

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »
Still no success. This is frustrating.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
Still no success. This is frustrating.

Jacob,

Refresh my memory. Is this a continuation of this thread? https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,442.0.html

Where did we get to with this?

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2017, 08:10:34 PM »
Yes, it is. I've separated the two, bridged the two, and shared the two with no success. My Win 7 on Parallels communicates with the web but for some reason it will not load files from Ring.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »
Does anyone else on here run RPA through Parallels?  I know there are other Mac guys....how are they doing it?

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure we can solve this, we have RP running in Parallels already so we know it's possible.

I've seen this behavior from RPA before when running in a virtual environment. I had installed on Win7 (today) in VirtualBox and it just couldn't connect when using NAT (shared) connection. It can connect when using a bridged connection but we'll need to make sure it's set right. We'll start with some basic stuff first.

1. Set Parallels to use Bridged mode and select the network adapter you have in the computer. I can't get a screenshot of Parallels networking configuration but this screenshot from VirtualBox should contain the same information. Perhaps Jeff (who we got it working on Parallels previously) might be able to help with the Parallels networking setup screens seeing as I can't see check them myself.

virtualbox network settings.png

In this case, the network adapter in my PC is from Marvell. Yours will be different.

2. In Win7 make sure that the network type is set to home. If it's set to public your AV/Firewall (if you have one) or Windows Firewall (if you don't) could be blocking it.

3. Try again.

If it still doesn't work can you do this for me. In Win7 open a command prompt , type ipconfig /all and then post the results here for me.

If it works now, if your had to change your network type change it back and try RPA again. If it doesn't work again we'll have to set an exemption in your firewall.

Also, remind me do you only have a wireless connection?

- Tim

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 01:01:35 AM »
Does anyone else on here run RPA through Parallels?  I know there are other Mac guys....how are they doing it?

-Kevin

I am a Mac person.  I borrowed an old PC from my daughter's boyfriend -- one that he really does not need anymore.

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 10:27:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure we can solve this, we have RP running in Parallels already so we know it's possible.

I've seen this behavior from RPA before when running in a virtual environment. I had installed on Win7 (today) in VirtualBox and it just couldn't connect when using NAT (shared) connection. It can connect when using a bridged connection but we'll need to make sure it's set right. We'll start with some basic stuff first.

1. Set Parallels to use Bridged mode and select the network adapter you have in the computer. I can't get a screenshot of Parallels networking configuration but this screenshot from VirtualBox should contain the same information. Perhaps Jeff (who we got it working on Parallels previously) might be able to help with the Parallels networking setup screens seeing as I can't see check them myself.

virtualbox network settings.png

In this case, the network adapter in my PC is from Marvell. Yours will be different.

2. In Win7 make sure that the network type is set to home. If it's set to public your AV/Firewall (if you have one) or Windows Firewall (if you don't) could be blocking it.

3. Try again.

If it still doesn't work can you do this for me. In Win7 open a command prompt , type ipconfig /all and then post the results here for me.

If it works now, if your had to change your network type change it back and try RPA again. If it doesn't work again we'll have to set an exemption in your firewall.

Also, remind me do you only have a wireless connection?

- Tim

I successfully got the RPA to download and install. However, now I can't get the Simulator to download. Don't waste anymore keyboard strokes. I'm really close to just buying a damn PC.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
...Don't waste anymore keyboard strokes.

Jacob,

That's your call but I'm completely happy to continue trying to help you with this (I really wish Jeff would pop in so he could give some insight, we got it all working on his Parallels).

If you do no longer wish to continue that's fine, I don't consider the time I've spent on it a waste but I will ask one more question and offer one more thing.

As you got RPA to download and install, can RPA itself see the internet?

As HC Simulator doesn't need to see the internet we can just install it manually without running the installer. It's very easy and quick. Interested?

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 11:05:37 PM »
Tim:

I have them both installed now. And you're probably going to kill me.

I generally model at home and then use my layovers in the hotel to hit the gym and catch up on emails, updates, work stuff, etc with the hotel internet. I've been trying to install RPA and the Sim over the different hotel internet connections for the last few months. I generally don't even think of RailPro while at home but a discussion about it reminded me and something clicked and I decided to try it at home. My success rate was 50% with my home Wi-Fi. After making the recommended changes to the bridge setting the RPA downloaded via my home WiFi. However, the Sim would not. So, I plugged my Mac into my cable modem and the Parallels would not recognize the connection. However, using my route with a cable between the modem and Mac did establish a connection and the Sim dowloaded.

What is left to be seen is whether the RPA will download files via WiFi or if I have to plug in again. I have to be frank and call bull!@#$ on a wireless train system that can't download it's own programs via wireless!

Anyways, thanks again. I'm going to play a bit and see if I can download files.

Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 11:18:14 PM »
Hope is a cruel thing. The RPA inside the virtual machine cannot see either of my USB ports and it is now showing that it is not connected to the HC-2.

Wait.....

It's working! My liver will be thankful.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 11:35:51 PM »
Jacob,

I'm so glad that both are downloaded. I have to agree, issues with downloading with a wireless connection is just inexcusable. Note that I'm talking purely from a downloading standpoint once connected to a wireless network that isn't blocking RP software connections (see below). I must investigate and see if I can work out why wireless can cause issues.

Just a couple of things to note for you, and explains why you likely had so much trouble. Your Win7 would have most likely marked the hotel wireless connections as a public (insecure) network, which would have blocked the RPA and HC Sim installers from connecting. It does not matter at all that other things like web browsers and email clients could connect, firewalls have built in rules for these things but not for RPA and HC Sim. I think you will find that even if RPA downloads files at home it will not while using a hotel wireless connection. If it doesn't it should be easily fixed by adding an exemption for RPA in the firewall rules for public networks.

... Reply to second post ...

Do you have a HC-2 or HC-2b?  if you have a HC-2 (not the 2b) you will most likely need to install the drivers for it. They are no longer included in the RPA download (TR really needs to get his programming and downloading act together) You can fetch the HC-2 drivers here: http://ringengineering.com/Software/HC-1UsbDriverInstaller.EXE

They are not required for the HC-2b.

RPA should be able to download files when HC Simulator is running so you can test that way as well. The CI-1 does not need to be plugged in.

- Tim
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:38:08 PM by G8B4Life »

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
Tim:

And that's the weird thing. I tried in the hotel to change the hotel network to 'home', then I changed the rules allowing Ring programs, and then eventually just turned the firewall off and I still wasn't successful.

I have the HC-2. I download the driver and in the middle of updating the HC-2 it cancelled it and said it can no longer connect. I'm going to dig a bit.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org