RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

New GEVO prime mover file

(1/2) > >>

Archive:
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Aug 31, 2015

Hi guys,

I just tested a new GEVO prime mover file for Tim, and all I can say is "wow".  This one was recorded by a Railpro user on a single ES44 pulling quite a bit of tonnage through all 8 notches, and including startup and shutdown.  It is quite possibly the best recording of an ES44 I have ever heard.

I believe there still needs to be some tweaking done, and Railpro Assistant will need to be updated in order for the file to be downloaded.  As it stands right now it is too big for the file size limit for RPA.  A simple update will take care of that.  It is much larger than previous prime movers, but the quality of the sound is well worth it.

Hopefully it becomes available to all soon.  I just wanted to keep everyone updated on it.  And I also want to show what can be done with user-recorded sounds.  Those who have the ability and access to create good recordings can make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of sounds for Railpro.

-Kevin

Archive:
Originally posted by picturemaker22 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Aug 31, 2015

That's great news Kevin, this new file is just the beginning, a few more and RailPro will be the best system on the market. In my opinion, it already is. If you look at all the improvements in just the last two years, it is amazing how far RailPro has come. The folks at Ring are not just satisfied at what they already have, but are striving to make this system even better. "The sky's the limit" with this technology, so much more can be done.

Cheers
Mel

Archive:
Originally posted by jacob.damron on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 7, 2015

That's awesome! What kind of sound recording equipment would be required? I have access to GP7/9/10 and GP38's. I asked a buddy at BNSF but they're restricted from doing such. I'd be willing to help if I can to add to the sound files.

Jacob
Ft. Worth

Archive:
Originally posted by William Brillinger on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 7, 2015

Jason at Rapido uses a Tascam portable recorder. I remember seeing it strapped tot he roof in a video somewhere.

I have a tascam iM2 mic for my iPhone and a fur wind muffler for it, and that should be quite adequate.

- Bill

Archive:
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 7, 2015

Jacob,

I'm glad you have access to get some recordings!  I for one would love a great recording of a GP7/9....I have one planned to build right now, just gathering parts. 

Tascam makes a great recorder and should be adequate for what we need.  I had a Tascam DR-04 but it was stolen along with a bunch of other stuff.  I still have my mic though, a Sennheiser e815s.  I never could find any opportunities to record so I'm debating getting another Tascam or not.

Watch this video as a guide to getting good recordings:

As noted in the video it sould be handy to get a shock mount and extension pole in order to isolate the mic from vibration and to place it near the exhaust.  A wind sock(dead cat type) is a must.  All these things can be found on Amazon for decent prices.

If you're able you can get a much better recording by recording the locomotive under load (hence the video of Jason from Rapido taping the recorder on the roof of the locomotive).  You'll need to get all 8 notches with all transitions, startup and shutdown.  Also get the compressor, air blasts, and any other sounds a locomotive may make.  Bonus if you can get the engine spooling from notch 1 all the way up to notch 8.

-Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version