Author Topic: Making a Lanyard for your RailPro HC  (Read 11439 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Making a Lanyard for your RailPro HC
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:33:25 PM »
**WARNING** This might void your warranty.

One thing the physical HC design is missing is a spot to attach a lanyard.

Thanks to a recent suggestion by fellow RailPro user Lee Nicholas, I added a lanyard to my HC’s!

RailPro Lanyard (1).jpg

Tools Required:
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Soldering Iron
  • 9/64” Drill Bit & Drill
  • 5/16” Wrench

Parts List:
  • 2x - #6 Black Oxide Flat Washer (Zoro No. G3412227)
  • 1x - 1.25” Black Oxide Eyebolt & 6-32 Nut (Zoro No. G3472585)
  • 1x - 6-32 Silver Nut (purchased from local hardware store)
  • 1x – Lanyard of your choice (I got mine on eBay)

I mounted the eye bolt on the bottom housing piece so it would sit closer to my body.
Mounting it on the bottom of the front plate would have been easier, but I think it would tend to hang funny then.

Assembly was easy, here’s how I did it:
  • Use the Phillips screwdriver to remove the 4 screws on the back of HC.

RailPro Lanyard instructions (1).jpg

• Set the HC on its back and lift the front off. Gently pressing on the screen will get it to release from the plastic bezel. This will leave the HC innards intact with the back plate of the body. Set the front plate aside for reassembly later.

RailPro Lanyard instructions (2).jpg

• I used a hot soldering iron to make a pilot dimple in the bottom of the HC.

RailPro Lanyard instructions (3).jpg

• Use the 9/64” drill bit to make the hole for the eye bolt.

RailPro Lanyard instructions (4).jpg

RailPro Lanyard instructions (5).jpg

• Thread the black nut onto the eye bolt as far as it will go until it locks at the end of the thread.

RailPro Lanyard instructions (6).jpg

• Place a washer on the eye bolt over the nut.
  • Insert the eyebolt into the hole in the HC.
  • Place the next washer onto the eye bolt.
  • Thread the silver nut onto the eye bolt.
  • Tighten up the silver nut with the wrench, making sure to keep the eye bold aligned.

RailPro Lanyard instructions (7).jpg

• Replace the front plate being careful to align the screen and power button as you go.
  • Pick up the HC, turn it over, and replace the 4 screws on the back.
  • Attach your lanyard and Highball!

RailPro Lanyard instructions (8).jpg

Cheers!
- Bill
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:50:57 PM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Making a Lanyard for your RailPro HC
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:50:24 PM »
For anyone interested, I have 6 sets of parts for this that I would be happy to sell for $4 US per set including shipping.
Email me at billy@pdc.ca if you are interested.

RailPro Lanyard Kit.jpg
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:52:41 PM by William Brillinger »

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:15 PM »
As the HC is rather large and bulky I had always thought a flaw in the design was the lack of a place to attach a wrist strap (in the same place as you've done Bill) but a lanyard is pretty cool to. The only thing I can see with a lanyard is the HC being a plumbob if you need to reach into an area with both hands but you could always get a lanyard with a quick release clip (if you trust it) that'll allow one to take the HC off without having to take if off your neck.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »
This is a great idea Bill.  Nice mounting location and easy to do.  I'm not sure if I'd like a lanyard around my neck though.  I'd be afraid the HC would swing out whenever I leaned over, potentially knocking over scenery and models.

For my own use I'd consider something like this: https://www.amazon.com/KEY-BAK-SECURIT-Retractable-Holder-Retraction/dp/B0039YY2QM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490321228&sr=8-2&keywords=belt+key+ring+retractor.  This would keep the HC tied to my waist where it is easily reachable by my hands, and with the retractor I can pull the HC to where I want it for better viewing.  It would retract up tight to my belt, allowing me to move freely and lean over without fear of it damaging anything.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:52:58 AM »
You two have come up with a great solution to a nagging problem. I like the eye bolt modification but would not like the controller hanging from my neck. The retractable holder is the answer to that part of it. If anyone orders one, make sure you get the 13oz. capacity version for a few bucks more, as the HC weighs 10.2 oz. The 8 oz. version will not be able to stay retracted.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »
Thanks Guys,  All the credit for this idea goes to Lee Nicholas.

As a side note, I have a longer wider strap that when placed over only 1 shoulder and
under the arm, allows the HC to sit nicely on my hip too.

Lee Nicholas

• Fireman
    • Utah Colorado Western
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
Bill
Thanks for sharing the eye-bolt lanyard hardware. I bought a few commercial lanyards but they are to short  at 36" so my son (a saddle maker) cut one out of chap leather for me at 40" much better. I like the retractable idea and just ordered a 13 oz  I'll let the group no how it works out.

Lee Nicholas

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:09:03 AM »
I remember speaking to Ring about this sometime back, he can add them if you wish. My Rail-Lynx throttles had them and I really liked it.
I don't know what the cost would be but Tim did mention something regarding the touchscreen requiring re-calibration after it had been out of the housing.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
Tim did mention something regarding the touchscreen requiring re-calibration after it had been out of the housing.

I wouldn't know why. It has a nice little bezel to lock in the position.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
Bill, I take it you haven't experienced any problems so far like touching the buttons and getting the wrong response.
Al

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »
Bill, I take it you haven't experienced any problems so far like touching the buttons and getting the wrong response.

No, I have not noticed this issue.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »
Tim did mention something regarding the touchscreen requiring re-calibration after it had been out of the housing.

I wouldn't know why. It has a nice little bezel to lock in the position.

I too didn't have any problems the times I had my HC-2 apart.

Believe it or not there is actually a screen in the HC software for touch screen calibration. Whether it's actually been implemented or not or how to access if it has I don't know but it's there. There are a few other interesting screens as well that I don't know if they can be reached in any way. One I know hasn't been implemented yet; it's part of that big news that Bill couldn't tell us about from ages ago.

- Tim

Lee Nicholas

• Fireman
    • Utah Colorado Western
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
Kevin... suggested using a Key-bak retractable lanyard and I bought one to try. It definitely has the strength to do the job but not to comfortable to use. The device is over 4" long and when attached to your belt loop the HC hangs about mid thigh which is a little low. When the HC is extended there is to much pull back and is hard to handle.
I think I'll stick with the neck lanyards.
Lee

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »
Lee, thanks for the report.  I wondered about the length as it looked a little long to me.  Ideally for me it'd be nice if there was something that allowed the HC to hang right at the belt loop, while still being retractable.  I'm not sure what other options there are though.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »
I appreciate that report too. I'll be looking for something to hang from the belt. If I find something I'll post it.
Al