RailPro > Finished RailPro Installation Examples

Installing a TCS KA3 or KA4 on an LM-3S without a bridge rectifer

(1/4) > >>

William Brillinger:
Today I have confirmed that you can install a TCS KA3 or KA4 Keep Alive on the LM-3S without a bridge rectifier.

WARNINGS:

* This only applies to RailPro LM3 modules. Older Modules need a Bridge Rectifier to install a Keep Alive
Wire the Keep Alive as follows:

Module 9 Pin Blue (Common Wire) to KA3/4 Blue +12v Wire
Module 6 Pin Yellow (Negative Wire) to KA3/4 Black/White Ground Wire

Cheers!

Alan:
Bill, we determined this would work back on the original KA thread several months ago. Did you get additional information from Ring or by confirmed are you saying you wired one up and tested it?

William Brillinger:
Ring has indicated that this is the "correct" way to do it. (if you must, etc. etc.)

And I have now Wired and Tested it.

Alan:
Ah okay. Essentially the same thing he told me. Recall our discussion about preventing damage due to shorts on the outputs? Wired this way there is no protection for those outputs. The motor outputs are sturdy enough to tolerate a fault but the lighting outputs are not. Hence the if you must, etc. Make certain your lighting wires are done right and no wires rub on anything. Would hate to see you lose a module.

CPRail:
Does installing with a bridge rectifier provide the protection for lights, etc.? I've done all mine so far with bridge rectifiers, but this looks like a much easier install. One less piece to fit it.

Aside from having one less piece, and the potential to void the warranty, what are the pros and cons of with or without a bridge rectifier.

Please keep the explanation simple, I'm not an electrical engineer. As it is, I'm always amazed that I can get things to work on the layout. KAs and Bridge Rectifiers are at the top end of my limits...most of these components are filed under Magic Boxes. As long as you connect it EXACTLY as instructed AND the Magic Smoke stays in them, they work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version