Author Topic: Layout control panels  (Read 12217 times)

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Layout control panels
« on: May 25, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
Things have been awfully quiet on the RP forum lately. If it is okay with Bill, I would like to present some model railroad eye candy I have been working on.

I'm not one that cares to control anything more than trains with my HC. For layout accessories I prefer conventional fascia control panels. Here are 15 of my 16 panels ready for installation. I am building panel 16 at the moment.

DSC_1484.jpg

DSC_1485.jpg

DSC_1486.jpg

DSC_1487.jpg
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Layout control panels
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 10:24:30 PM »
It's been awful quite on your blog as well Alan ;) I was starting to suspect that there was more "spring cleaning" going on up north than I thought.

The control panels look good and should complement the railroad quite nicely.

- Tim

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »
Some people just have all the talent for sure. Very nice work to say the least. Cheers, the old fardt in Arid-zona

Antoine L.

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:44:15 AM »
The LK&O is really a source of inspiration for me Alan.
Keep up the great work. I'm currently building my layout and finished my first module using almost all your techniques. Instead of Tortoises I use Bill's switch machines from PDC.ca. I am using all your techniques, including the small dowels to hold the wires, haha.
I won't have an accessory bus because it gets expensive and all, but at some point I could add one.

Thansk for sharing your knowledge to everyone.

Antoine
Modeling a mix of CN / Wisconsin central on a 12x15 freelance area.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
It's been awful quite on your blog as well Alan ;) I was starting to suspect that there was more "spring cleaning" going on up north than I thought.

The control panels look good and should complement the railroad quite nicely.

- Tim

Tim, I post to the blog when I reach a significant progress point or when the subject matter changes. I have been constructing control panels for a long time but am still not finished. A post will be forthcoming when I complete the last one as that will be a significant progress point. And yes, with the arrival of spring, all of the usual fair weather duties and recreational activities are in full swing. Really cuts into railroad fun time but not in a bad way.

Thanks for the compliment. What do you think of their look on a dusty chalkboard dark gray (near black) colored fascia?

Some people just have all the talent for sure. Very nice work to say the least. Cheers, the old fardt in Arid-zona

No talent required. It's all about persistence. I just keep at it until the picture in my head becomes a tangible object that I am not embarrassed of. Means I toss aside a lot of tried and failed attempts along the way but eventually come up with something that works and is repeatable. Then it becomes simply lather-rinse-repeat.

The LK&O is really a source of inspiration for me Alan.
Keep up the great work. I'm currently building my layout and finished my first module using almost all your techniques. Instead of Tortoises I use Bill's switch machines from PDC.ca. I am using all your techniques, including the small dowels to hold the wires, haha.
I won't have an accessory bus because it gets expensive and all, but at some point I could add one.

Thansk for sharing your knowledge to everyone.

Antoine

Makes me feel good you are able to use some of my ideas. The dowel bus holders have worked out swell for me. Bulletproof connections, infinitely expandable, virtually no voltage drop, and constructed for just pennies. How can you beat that! 
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
Your panels are truly beautiful Alan!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »
Alan, your control boards are among the nicest I've seen. Your work is always impressive.  ;)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 07:12:47 PM »
You know, I had a guy on one of the popular model railroad forums attack Railpro (and myself because I used it) over and over again.  He said something along the lines of 'Railpro is just a toy, you're not a serious model railroader' blah, blah, blah.

Everything I've seen on this forum from Railpro users is in direct contrast to his criticism.  How many model railroads do you see with the kind of attention to detail that you espouse Alan?  The work you do Alan is some really nice stuff.  Excellent thought, planning, and workmanship.  Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:48:07 PM »
Thanks for the compliment. What do you think of their look on a dusty chalkboard dark gray (near black) colored fascia?

Alan, I think the panels will probably look good on any colour fascia simply because the panels, to my eye at least will keep your attention away from the fascia. It's the use of colours (blue, white, purple, orange etc) contained within that stained wood on the panels that does this.

As to fascia colour itself, I'll send a PM; I don't plan on opening any can's of worms here.

You know, I had a guy on one of the popular model railroad forums attack Railpro (and myself because I used it) over and over again.  He said something along the lines of 'Railpro is just a toy, you're not a serious model railroader' blah, blah, blah.

This person is probably just jealous, or too stupid to see the forest for the trees. I won't say any more; I think we all here know what happens on forums as soon as a person mentions or asks about RailPro; 3 good answers and 50 useless answers not answering anything more than the writers own excuses for not using it.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 08:39:01 AM »
Wow. Thanks guys.

Everything I've seen on this forum from Railpro users is in direct contrast to his criticism.  How many model railroads do you see with the kind of attention to detail that you espouse Alan?  The work you do Alan is some really nice stuff.  Excellent thought, planning, and workmanship.  Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

-Kevin

That is the very reason I, for the most part, quit participating in model railroad forums except this one and occasionally MRR (seems most hobby newcomers are appreciative of assistance). Sadly, this hobby deserves much of the public reputation it has. The percentage of outspoken gruff old men is high. While they may be knowledgeable, skilled, and/or experienced, their crude delivery and rigid close-mindedness really sours, for me anyway, what otherwise would be interesting and thought provoking dialog.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 08:56:40 AM »
That is the very reason I, for the most part, quit participating in model railroad forums except this one and occasionally MRR (seems most hobby newcomers are appreciative of assistance). Sadly, this hobby deserves much of the public reputation it has. The percentage of outspoken gruff old men is high. While they may be knowledgeable, skilled, and/or experienced, their crude delivery and rigid close-mindedness really sours, for me anyway, what otherwise would be interesting and thought provoking dialog.

Sadly true. Let's not become those gruff old men!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
Alan,

That is very, very nice work. I need to keep up with your blog more.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »
Sadly true. Let's not become those gruff old men!

Hear Hear!

As this is the only forum I'm on (which sadly, accounts for 99% of my model rail "human contact"), besides a couple of Yahoo groups that have all but died I certainly don't want to loose RPUG to the same fate as a person nearly anywhere else who bucks the norm would. Sheesh, just because I use RailPro and Sergent couplers you'd think I was some outcast that's looked upon as someone who might try to unravel society.

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
I've had a lot of success in converting Kadee guys to Sergent but the DCC to RailPro conversion has been about as successful as converting guys to Islam at Notre Dame.

That said, we have a small group in Ft Worth that is going to modify the Free-mo standard to a more RailPro friendly format while still retaining Free-mo compatibility. There isn't a lot of interest in buying thousands of dollars of DCC hardware just to put power on the rails.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »
Finally finished all 16 panels. Check out how ugly it got on the backside of this one.

http://www.lkorailroad.com/control-panels-part-xi/

Alan

LK&O Railroad website