Author Topic: Layout control panels  (Read 13589 times)

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Layout control panels
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2020, 04:54:37 PM »
Hey Tim, I survived. Over 2,000 soldered connections and I am alive to tell of it. Glad my soldering iron doesn't have an hour meter on it!

The fascia panel wiring is complete. All panels are operational. Amazing how much progress can be made when you don't have to go to work six days a week! I put up a long winded post on the blog that explains the methodology behind my panel wiring. It is way too much to post here so if you are interested check it out http://www.lkorailroad.com/panel-wiring-part-iii/. My next blog post will come in a few days with documentation for each of the panels. Thought I had better explain what is going on with today's post before I blast up a gazillion pictures of wiring. The next blog post will feature so much wire it may give the dead rail folks seizures.  :P Here's a preview...

panel pins.PNG
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2020, 12:41:55 AM »
Hey Alan,

I am almost speechless with your dedication to what many, many folk would find tedious and mind numbing! I'll have to reply to quoted sections to address it.

... Over 2,000 soldered connections and I am alive to tell of it. Glad my soldering iron doesn't have an hour meter on it!

See opening paragraph. At the thought of doing that many connections I would have found a job shop to pre-make the bare-end harnesses for me, like I did for some RF connector pigtails we needed at work a few back. It was cheaper than having me make them.

Amazing how much progress can be made when you don't have to go to work six days a week!

Amazing how little can be accomplished when you don't (read can't) go to work too. I wish I could have accomplished something as grand as what you have done in the same timeframe.

The next blog post will feature so much wire it may give the dead rail folks seizures.

Don't worry about the dead rail folk, I'd be more worried the copper thieves in my country might see the post and come after your layout  >:(

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2020, 06:20:06 AM »
I hope you invested in copper futures. I retired in March and have been soldering ever since. Look what happened in the copper market as a result.  :P

chart.PNG
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro