Author Topic: Install LM-3 Bachmann S-2 Diesel Switcher  (Read 2455 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Install LM-3 Bachmann S-2 Diesel Switcher
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
So easy to install a LM-3 but I tried to first do a LM-3S and with the cell phone speaker. Sad to say the cab was about a quarter of an inch too low and not enough clearance. I might be able to mount a small speaker in another location but that cell phone speaker sure sounded good even though it just couldn't fit up in the cab. Oh ya ! This engine was DCC ready as a socket was inside ready to go, just remove the jumper.  Also Trainworld has these on sale for $49.95 or the Western Pacific at $39.95  Might not be too many left as I bought five of these !!!!!!  Any railroad, any line.. It's all good.  Time to order some LM-3's......
Having phun in Arid-Zona   Inside of course :) The old fardt.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:25:49 PM by darryl.trains »

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Install LM-3 Bachmann S-2 Diesel Switcher
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
Darryl, take a look at Kevin's sugar cube installation. This may be a possibility for your switcher.
https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,330.msg2824.html#msg2824
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:36:26 PM »
Al   I'm thinking about trying a sugar cube in the S-2 as it looks like one end might be large enough?  Trial and error is a bout but I have to see if that can be done.  I just barely fit the LM-3S under the circuit board by loosening the screw on one end of the board. Now to find somewhere online that sells these cubes. Any help would be appreciated of course.

Is is hot yet? This is Yuma next door to hell. But it sure bests the cold we experienced way up north. Cheers, TOF

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
Was the iphone 4 speaker too thick? 

If it was too long, you can cut it down.
You may also be able to sand it thinner if it's close.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »
Bill

I was lucky enough to put the cab on as there was not one mil to spare after fitting the module under the circuit board. I had thought about cutting the cell phone speaker in two pieces so it would be half as long and it might fit near the end of the circuit board. I am considering taking out the circuit board and see what matures then. Onward into the unknown..  TOF

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 11:18:41 PM »
You'll have a lot more room after getting the factory board out of there.  That's the reason I take out all factory electronics in nearly all my installs.  Yes you have to hardwire in a harness, but it's so much easier to fit everything that way.

Kevin