Author Topic: Why is it so hard for us?  (Read 8426 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Why is it so hard for us?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 07:05:10 AM »
I didn't expect this thread would take off like it has while I was sleeping. Perhaps I should do that more often  :) OK yes that's cheesy but I have to make fun at the time difference somehow.

I think we can all agree that most of us owe Kevin for his RailPro videos but more importantly I think Tim Ring really owes Kevin for them; They did a much better job at gaining him some sales that his own promotional material and that's not something to be sneezed at.

Both Larry and Kevin bring up good points about RailPro awareness though I'd wouldn't be worried much by a blank stare at the hobby shop; I'd simply take my RP dollars elsewhere, it's their loss not mine if they don't want to know about it.

I think Kevin is on the right track, if we want to see RP really come alive then the marketing has to be done by us, the users. It won't happen from Rings end.  I really don't know what else we can do though other than what we do already on other forums etc but an article and/or video / video article, perhaps in MRH for the widest readerbase on the upcoming RailPro Op's session on Lee's layout could be a very good thing if it can be done.

I don't know if Lee's layout has featured in MRH before or not but even if it has an article on what amount's to the wholesale conversion of a well known and established large layout to RailPro, and why RailPro and not mainstream DCC might be worth considering as well.

- Tim

melarson

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »
Another piece of evidence... consider Ring's first product was a blinking end-of-train device. The second product was a complete DCC replacement control system. That's one hell of a leap in product development. Not the course one expect an evolving product engineer to take. Unless, the leap was purchased instead of developed.

In one of my conversations with Tim last year he told me that creating the RailPro system was always his number one intent, and that producing the EOT devices was the way to raise the capital.  From our point of view it may seem to be quite a leap, but in fact it was not.  The leap was backward, creating something simple but profitable so he could fund the development of the control system he originally envisioned (in the context of our conversation, I never got the impression that it was purchased).

So I would like to add a big thank you to all of those freight train modelers out there that helped fund the system we all enjoy today!

Michael

Antoine L.

• Engineer
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 08:25:24 AM »
This thread questions: What are we truely waiting for?
New sounds? Are the bugs really altering our experience of the product?

Personnally, Railpro does everything I ever wanted from a control system and even does more. The nice-to-have extra features Ring is working on will come eventually, but I cannot really complain about the product I own. It runs my trains the way I want and I am happy.

We actually -knew- when buying RP that updates would come slowly. I am pretty sure most of us also doubted a bit before buying: "What happens if the company goes belly up?" So we knew, and we bought it anyway, cause RP is great and works almost flawlessly in its current state.

Not my intent to kill the thread, just throwing in my two cents.

Antoine
Modeling a mix of CN / Wisconsin central on a 12x15 freelance area.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 08:36:52 AM »
Right with ya Antoine. On the previous page I posted

I think it is safe to conclude Ring Engineering is simply a bit weak when it comes to marketing and a bit slow with product development. I can live with both. My trains are running just fine.

Your statement pretty much sums up the RailPro experience for everybody

It runs my trains the way I want and I am happy.

Maybe that should be the RailPro marketing slogan.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Lee Nicholas

• Fireman
    • Utah Colorado Western
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
I have to chime in here.

I for one have no issues with RP or Tim. I speak with him on a regular basis almost weekly and I can assure you he has some new releases coming out very soon and some of the changes I have beta tested and they are great. Tim is very protective of RP and as you have seen he patents most everything which takes time so have patience. My previous system Rail Lynx which I ran for 25 years had  little or no improvements in that time but worked great because it was direct communication with locomotive just like RP.  I switched to RP and feel I have hit the mother load and couldn't be happier.

Today I have a couple coming to do another video on the UCW. They were here last fall for the first installment which has been up and running on YouTube for several months and we have over 20,000 hits. Since they were here I have switched to RP and have will give it a major promotion today as we film the layout under operation. His videos are listed under Toy Man go check them out.

I'm a little disappointed in the community response to my invitation for a Sept meet. I've had 3 responses so far and was hoping for more takers as I would like to meet the RP user community hopefully we'll see a few more in the next month or so.

I am excited to be part of the RP family.

Lee Nicholas

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »
I'm a little disappointed in the community response to my invitation for a Sept meet. I've had 3 responses so far and was hoping for more takers as I would like to meet the RP user community hopefully we'll see a few more in the next month or so.

I'd really like to come, and I'm working on making that happen, but it's hard to get people to commit to a long trip like that. It's quite costly and I'm sure many people can't afford it.  The key will be to find more users closer to your location.

Perhaps you can get Tim Ring to promote the event too? You've had lots of contact with Tim. You might get him to do it!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
It runs my trains the way I want and I am happy.

As the one who started this thread in a head cold induced daze I have to emphasise I am in no way dissatisfied with what I own and what I bought into but I'm still a little on the disappointed side so I'll try and explain where I'm coming from.

When I bought into RailPro I had no idea on how slow things would move. I have to disagree with Antoine here, there really isn't a way one could have realistically known how slow RP development would be until it was experienced. I am ok with that though as long as things do actually happen but it seems at times that it isn't as there is little or no engagement from RE to the user base and when something does finally happen I'm sometimes just left shaking my head. For instance the list of bugs (not features we want) goes back years but we all needed a set of barking dogs a couple of months ago. Seriously?

I was perhaps also venting as I also feel a bit alone on the engagement side. I love RailPro and want to help it along (I can see myself as that boot kicking the turtle) but I'm limited in what I can do, sometimes feel as what I have to say is not important when I get short generic answers and most importantly feel like I'm pushing my luck every time I email RE; if TR ever figures out where I am I'm probably screwed. I'm not sure how easy it would be for most here to understand how good it is for you to be able to pick up the phone and have a conversation with TR without fearing being told "you shouldn't be using my product so your on your own". Would that happen? I don't know. Is it a risk I'm willing to take? No.

Lee,

I wish I could come, I think seeing RP in action in such a large multi user environment would be very interesting but the 17,000 mile round trip is just not going to happen.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »
"but we all needed a set of barking dogs a couple of months ago. Seriously?"

In fairness, it's likely that these sounds were user submitted, and took little or none of Tim Rings time to release.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 06:34:31 PM »
Great insight and very helpful discussion.

LeRoy
Retired, Homeless, and full timer RVer.  I live in my truck camper and roam the USA, Canada, and Alaska.  I sold my home to my son but I still have full access to the entire lower level.  I have somewhat of a HO bench plan designed.

garyiii

• Fireman
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
As a newbie I stumbled across Railpro while researching Blue Rail.  Blue Rail just didn't offer any reasonable sound even though Blue tooth can now handle jillions of concurrent feeds.

Watching videos and checking prices on the internet led me to Bill Brillinger and his operation.  Rail Pro Inc.seems more like a hobby than a real company.  Maybe us on the users group could play some part of the Marketing support.  If it's truly a one man (or close to it ) operation, the cash resources are obviously somewhat limited, so volunteer help on our part (with RailPro approval) might be beneficial.

Train shows are expensive to display at, but they are always looking for good speakers.

A nice presentation  on merits of DCC - DC- Blue Rail and Rail Pro under the blanket of "The State of Model Train Control" or something might be the answer.

Companies need money to survive, and they need customers to get money.  I don't want to see this go away.

GaryIII

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 06:45:30 PM »
I proclaim the merits of RP to everyone whom I think may be interested. On more than one occasion, I have offered to man a RP booth at one of the biggest shows in the country. Tim has declined, stating he would rather grow the business over the Internet.

Keep in mind that as a business grows the personal touch disappears. For now, we still have that personal level of service. More so than any other company I have dealt with.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

TrainManic

• Fireman
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 02:31:32 PM »
It is true that video reviews a huge these days.
Thanks, Kpack. I too used your videos before buying, and it made my purchase a lot less stressful in the end.
Keep up the great work.

PerezBill

• Fireman
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
Another reason Tim needs to get on Ken Pattersons show. Exposure...