RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

Problem with RailPro Reversing Loop

(1/3) > >>

MtRR75:
First, a little background.  I am relatively new to RailPro.  I have a small layout and about 10 locomotives.  Two have been converted to RailPro, and another is in the shop getting converted.  But it will be a while before all of my locos get converted.

So, I am still running on my DC layout -- complete with block switches and two cabs.  I have a TPDT (tripple pole, double pole) switch that switches the layout from DC to RailPro.  The first 2 poles switch between CabA and RailPro.  The other pole disconnects CabB whenever RailPro is on.  There is no way that I can run the both systems simultaneously, which is exactly what I want.  I never leave RailPro locos and DC locos on the layout at the same time.

The problem comes with the reversing loop.  If I am only running one RailPro loco, I use my CabA directional switch to reverse the polarity of the Main Line while the loco is on the reversing track.  This works fine.

However, if another RailPro loco is moving, the sudden loss of power (from the center switch position) as the polarity changes causes the 2nd loco to stop suddenly, then restart -- but in the correct direction.

I know that RailPro makes a reversing loop module that will automatically deal with the polarity change that the 1st loco encounters.  I assume that the 2nd loco is unaffected and continues to run correctly.  So this is the obvious solution to my problem.

BUT.....

What about when I switch back to DC?  I doubt that the RailPro module will switch the polarity of a DC system.  It seems like it might be necessary to figure out how to toggle between the RailPro reversing loop module and my DC directional switch -- at the same time that I toggle between power sources.  I have some wiring skills, but I am not an expert.  So I am having trouble figuring this out.

I seem to recall that there are others who have DC vs RailPro switchable layouts.  Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Alan:
Place another DPDT switch in the wires going to the reversing loop. Use it only for RailPro operation. Mark it so you know which way to flip the switch (and leave it there) when operating with DC.

MtRR75:
Thanks for the idea.  Sorry about the long delay in responding -- family has been visiting and other stuff happened -- very little train time lately.

I studied your suggestion and compared it to my wiring diagrams.  I already have a DPDT reversing switch in the line that sends power to the reversing track.  My problem is that I have been using a different reversing switch to reverse the MAIN LINE polarity while the loco is crossing the reversing track.  The problem is that the OTHER loco (the one on the main line) feels that polarity reverse and stops momentarily.

Are you suggesting that I install a RailPro reversing module, then use the reversing switch on the reversing track to flip the polarity of the reversing track while the loco is running through it?  Would the RailPro reversing unit sense this change smoothly and reverse the polarity a 2nd time while the loco was running across the reversing section, thus not disturbing the main-line polarity?

William Brillinger:
You could simply use a regular toggle switch with an AR-1 on the loop, so when you are using the layout in RAILPRO mode, you switch the reversing loop to use the AR-1, when you are in DC, you remove the AR-1 from the circuit with the toggle.

Alan:

--- Quote ---Are you suggesting that I install a RailPro reversing module, then use the reversing switch on the reversing track to flip the polarity of the reversing track while the loco is running through it?
--- End quote ---

No RP reversing module needed if you are okay with flipping a switch. Yes, install the second toggle and flip the polarity of the reversing loop while a train is in it (only while running RP). That way there is no effect on any other trains on the layout. The train on the reversing loop may skip a beat while you are flipping the switch. All depends how fast you can flip the switch.

Bill's idea will work also if you want to buy an AR-1.

--- Quote ---I doubt that the RailPro module will switch the polarity of a DC system.
--- End quote ---

The AR-1 may work on a DC system. A RP power supply is just a DC system at wide open throttle. The only issue may be the ugly waveform DC power packs put out. We know the AR-1 works great on clean DC. It would be a $39 gamble to find out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version