Author Topic: Southern Railway  (Read 6194 times)

Viper

• Fireman
Southern Railway
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »
How come their are no Southern RR loco pictures on file to download?  thanks in advance and remember i am new to Railpro.
Ed

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Southern Railway
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »
The downloadable pictures are user supplied. Maybe there isn't too big of a following for Southern. I couldn't tell you why though.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:24:01 PM »
Ed,

If you have any sort of digital camera, you can take your own photos and load them up using the RailPro Assistant Software.

The tricky part is that they need to be sized correctly. See this thread for sizing with basic windows software:
https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,194.msg1052.html#msg1052

How to load custom pictures is covered on page 24 in the RPA user manual:
http://www.ringengineering.com/RailPro/Documents/RailProAssistantUsersManual.pdf

Cheers!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:19:54 AM »
How come their are no Southern RR loco pictures on file to download?  thanks in advance and remember i am new to Railpro.
Ed

Welcome Ed.

If you don't want to create the pic yourself or don't have the software to do it, I can do that for you and email it to you. It only takes a few minutes. Or, Ring used to do the same thing. You can pull it in using RP Assistant.

PatP

Viper

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »
Thanks Guys, hey Pat could you send me a picture of Southern SD40-2 pic?
Ed

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
Thanks Guys, hey Pat could you send me a picture of Southern SD40-2 pic?
Ed

Ed,

No problem. What's your color pattern? What's the engine number(s)? I can email it or attach it here.

PatP

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
Ring still uploads pictures. I sent a pic. of a NS sd80mac 2 weeks ago and it was in the railpro assistant the next day. Ring sent me an email that said as long as they are actual pics of locomotive and not custom ones.. (weathered), That he is glad to do it so it is available to all users. Note that if you send him the picture it has to be facing cab to the left side.
I had a problem trying to convert it myself. I gave up!!

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 05:52:05 PM »
I expected he would have a standard, and rightfully so. The clean ones look a little cartoonish for my taste though. I've taken photos locally and can change the numbers, etc.., in Photoshop. Takes me longer to get a photo than to fix-em.

If someone wants a weathered pic of their engine, its just an offer. They can stand a piece of notebook paper behind it and take a close-up with their phone so they've got a white background. I don't mind doing them. I won't pirate photos though, so I don't doctor internet pics. Someone worked to take those.

PatP

Viper

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »
#3317L and #3240X thanks again Pat!
Ed

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
#3317L and #3240X thanks again Pat!

Ed,

3317L and 3240X BMPs attached. Let me know if they should look different, I've never seen a Southern engine. This is the only SD40-2 photo I had. It was FEC 714 parked at Agrock a couple of years ago when I took the photo.

PatP

southern 3240X.bmpsouthern 3317L.bmp

Viper

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:09:12 PM »
The look awesome! , Southern were High Hoods though. Thanks!
Ed

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
, Southern were High Hoods though. Thanks!

I wondered about that. I saw the high hoods on Athearn's site, which is how I found out about the stripe and what looks like gold lettering. If you want to take a cell phone picture(s) and email it(them) (pat@patpatterson.com), I'll turn them into BMPs and send them back. I don't have permission to use any of Athearn's pictures.

PatP

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
Ed,

Great news. I have written permission to use the product photos from Athearn's website so, Southern High Hoods are all yours.

PatP

southern_3240X.bmpsouthern_3317L.bmp

Viper

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 06:42:16 AM »
Awesome ! Thanks Pat "you the Man" i owe you one!. just got my first Receiver installed w/sound now going to start playing with all the features of this awesome system from Ring Engineering.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »
Note that if you send him the picture it has to be facing cab to the left side.

Not cab left but forward direction left. From the RailPro Assistant manual.

"It is preferred that you place the locomotive such that if it were to move forward that it would be traveling to the left on your picture.  Forward direction to the left is consistent with pictures that we already have."

This means technically that if you had a hood unit where the long hood end was forward the long hood should really be to the left. I don't know if many, if any US hood units were set up as long hood was forward and I don't think it matters to most, possibly because of a combination of they don't know which end is actually forwards on the prototype and whatever they buy is most certainly going to be wired as short hood end as forward anyway, regardless of which end is forward on the prototype.

Remembering it's forward direction facing left, not cab left will help when you have to install into things like B units and twin cabbed units.

- Tim