Author Topic: Removing decals  (Read 2744 times)

Morebassman

• Fireman
Removing decals
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »
I bought 2 Kato SD80macs with the same road # by mistake. Both are 7216. I tried the various tecs. at utube (Micro sol) ... only to find that kato has a silkscreen process for decales. No matter how long I leave the micro sol on, it will not release. How can I remove these #'s Safely?
I have seen one description of using 91% alcohol but cautions on paint removal.
HELP!

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Removing decals
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »
Have you tried a bit of alcohol on a swab or toothpick? Usually takes a little precision rubbing to get the job done.

http://www.katousa.com/consumers/changing-numbers.html
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
Thanks Alan. I'll give a try alittle later.
 :)

Viper

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »
yep Alcohol and many Q tips and lots of patience :)

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »
Ok this is what I have experienced on kato decals. This was on the main side of loco.  They suck to remove. Tried the microsol, tried the 91% alchohol, (Lots of patience). Ended up after all of the processing ... used an xacto knife....and carefuly removed the 6 (Rd.# 7216)... Then Tried to add the 0 to make it Rd. # 7210. (I was successful)  Note... I planned on the 0 but it just happened to work out to cover the 6
Main shell was not that much of a problem with xacto knife. So I am done but hope not to do this again

Now to the fun part.   The number boards.... I had 12 decales.. (# 0) By the time i finished with this one loco.... I have (0)  left...
Here is what happened...  Some that wouldn't stick, some that would tear, and some that tore on place after I was done and thought all was well..
I went back to find out that one had mysteriously jumped off and landed on my bench? 
Overall I am happy with the outcome but I wish manufactures would let us apply our own rd.#

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
Some manufacturers did offer models that were unnumbered, but unfortunately they tended to not sell as well as the numbered models and the practice has been discontinued.  Same goes for undec models in a lot of cases as well.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »
I can understand that but I guess my main gripe was that the kato numbers for me were difficult to remove. I was so worried about messing up the paint.