Author Topic: So Quiet...  (Read 4657 times)

PatP

• Engineer
So Quiet...
« on: August 22, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »
Wow, everyone must be mesmerized by the eclipse 8). Nothing's been posted since Sunday.

PatP

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Re: So Quiet...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »
Pat, I know I've been absent as I have been focusing my energy lately on the modules that I'm building. I have made significant leaps in my 3D modeling and my attempts to build an exacting replica on the Triple Underpass on the Dallas Union Terminal module set. It isn't RailPro but it will soon host a lot of RP equipped passenger trains.

If you're bored:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/twinstar-rail

Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 05:03:20 PM »
Nice Jacob. Your pillars look just like the ones in the photos I found.

PatP

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 05:28:47 PM »
Thanks Pat. No records exist of this bridge that I could find. I had to measure it, draw it, and then 3D model it before I could build the module framework to host it. It's even more complicated since this bridge will have a double crossover with double slips on 3 of the 4 corners on top of it with the switch motors hidden underneath. I'm now 2 years and 8 months into this bridge and I should receive the test prints this weekend. It's been a long process but it's coming together. I'm looking forward to running a Twin Star Rocket, Texas Special, and Texas Chief across it.

Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »
3D modeling pic.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »
There a quite a few beta testers from this forum who have been given a lot to test.  Not a lot of time to be on the forum with the amount of changes to test, and we can't talk about it on here anyways.  There will be lots to talk about when it's released!

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:53:08 PM »
No records exist of this bridge that I could find. I had to measure it, draw it, and then 3D model it before I could build the module framework to host it. It's even more complicated since this bridge will have a double crossover with double slips on 3 of the 4 corners on top of it with the switch motors hidden underneath. I'm now 2 years and 8 months into this bridge and I should receive the test prints this weekend. It's been a long process but it's coming together. I'm looking forward to running a Twin Star Rocket, Texas Special, and Texas Chief across it.

Jacob, that's the bridge near where JFK was shot isn't it? It sure looks like the same pillars, which is what i was referencing earlier, at least that's what came up when I Googled it. It was something like 5 tracks with 8 switches and 6 crossovers (okay, I may have exaggerated) in the Kennedy photos but wasn't as populated in a 50's photo.

Walthers just released a switch control setup using servos at the NMRA show in Orlando. May save you some room, a lot lower profile.

So, Kevin's playing with some of that secret squirrel stuff that we'll get to see later on. And, Bill just ain't right. I'll have to put him to work since I'm now at more engines than LM-3Ss.

Y'all play nice. I'm going back to watch the eclipses. We have one every night here in Florida, we're just a lot closer the the rock that's blocking the sun.

PatP

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 04:42:43 AM »
Pat, it is. The Triple Underpass marks the western boundary of Dealey Plaza where President Kennedy was shot. My module encompasses the Triple Underpass, the grassy knoll, Tower 106, and the T106 parking lot where several eye witnesses were present. A book about the Dealey Plaza, whose author is the archivist for the city of Dallas, provided a lot of initial detail for this project. I even have an HO model of the President's 1961 Cadillac that he rode in. My intention is to place it on Commerce instead of Elm street and to leave it empty representing an alternate reality of November 22, 1963.

It was a very complicated track arrangement. The T&P brought in a double main from the west, the Rock Island and Katy from the north, the freight tracks to the northeast, and the coach track to the northeast as well. There were something like 4-6 double crossovers and several double slips which are rare this far south with this much real estate. And most of them were over the bridge. I obviously couldn't model all of them and had to perform considerable compression to make it fit into a manageable module and something that is Free-mo compliant. The track plan went through no less than 15 major revisions over the last three years and several smaller ones. I feel the final plan captures the feel of Dallas Union Terminal, is Free-mo compatibility, and allows for accurate and efficient passenger train handling. Once complete the module will have a 45' X 22' footprint. 

I waited a considerable time to ensure the MP-5 (http://www.modelrailroadcontrolsystems.com/mp5-switch-motor/) would be compatible with my panel solution before proceeding. Numerous servo options were considered as the Tortoise just won't fit under here.

I am interested in seeing what is coming. Hopefully soon!
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:33 AM »
Wow, everyone must be mesmerized by the eclipse 8). Nothing's been posted since Sunday.

PatP

What eclipse? Oh that's right, it's a northern hemisphere thing ;)

It does get quiet at times here. I guess presently most are patiently awaiting the new upgrades, which hopefully shouldn't be to long now; RE has updated their page that they've been working on them to be released soon, though I take "soon" from RE with a grain of salt, plus, I imagine that many have a million things to do in the dying days of summer before the cold weather sets in (boy am I glad that's almost over for me for another year. Roll on summer so I can be exasperated about the heat instead of the cold  ::) ).

For all you beta testers I hope that you've all been testing whether existing bugs have been fixed as well as the new stuff.

- Tim