Author Topic: NEW: Dual Mode (DCC), ULT Sounds, Load/Brake Dynamic Momentum Features Avaialble  (Read 19801 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
I really recommend using the CI-1 with the HC-Sim for loading files to LM's.

This lets you work completely on the computer and not tie up the HC for what can be hours.
It's much faster to use the HC-Sim and you don't have to worry about the battery on your HC.

Once you have the files loaded on an LM then you can use the HC to configure the LM while you're loading programs to your next LM from the HC-Sim software.

The CI-1 is really invaluable - especially as the programs & sounds get larger.

Don't forget to update the RPA software, then the HC-Sim and HC software, then load the new files to your LM's.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

PatP

• Engineer
Yup. That's what I've been doing. You can fill up the storage space on RPA and HCSim, which is my point. I can kind of understand it on one of the HCs, but on the PC stuff? The Ring folder only has 16 meg in it including both programs. Some of us are not wired to an internet connection or using a cable tv connection. Some of us are connected by satellite, the only means available for the area, which limits the amount of data that can be moved. The download and re-download of the same files has a cost.

PatP

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
I agree, the limits on the RPA and HC-Sim storage file seems unnecessary.

Once you've downloaded sounds, you don't have to download them again, you can choose them from the "Load Files from this computer" section. The product programs have to be downloaded every time you want to send them to an HC.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
How is the new Load function different than momentum setting for a non-sound equipped locomotive?

Congrats to KPack for having models in the movie.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
Alan, in my testing it seems the Load function is more pronounced than the normal momentum settings.  And you can stack the two settings on top of each other.  Meaning, if you want a ton of momentum, turn your accel/decel settings up a bit, and crank the load up.  The train will take a long time to get up to speed and a long time to slow.  It can certainly make things very interesting if you are trying to stop at a certain point....it really makes you think and plan in advance.  Real trains take a while to stop if they are heavy!

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Hmmm, I don't know that I would ever want more momentum than the current momentum setting allows. I suppose if one were to run really long trains on a big club layout.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
My observation is that the load setting applies a curved momentum scheme, that is to say, as it gets faster, it gets faster faster, whereas the regular momentum is more of a straight line acceleration.

I do however think that these features will not have much appeal for those that are not using sound.

KPack

• Conductor
Just FYI, Bruce Petrarca published an article going over the basics of Railpro in his DCC column of MRH.  He mentioned some of the new updates in it, but only briefly:

http://mrhpub.com/2017-10-oct/online/?page=37

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Just FYI, Bruce Petrarca published an article going over the basics of Railpro in his DCC column of MRH.  He mentioned some of the new updates in it, but only briefly:

http://mrhpub.com/2017-10-oct/online/?page=37

Kevin, you beat my post by about 4 minutes 8). I must have started typing just as you finished typing. My post contains a little more on how can we use this to our advantage though.

https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,443.msg3532.html#msg3532

- Tim

Antoine L.

• Engineer
Hello all

I have tried the new features yesterday as I was very curious. I only own HC-2 and LM-2s, so, here is my experience about it.

The diesel 645 ULT sound is really on target. While the file is big, there is still some available space on the LM-2S. I loaded only a Horn sound, A bell sound and the ULT sound and I had about 30% storage space left for more smaller sounds (like the fast spitter which I enjoy)

True motion (added load), coupled with the new prime mover sound is really nice. It really feels like the engine is running hard to pull the load. Thumbs up to ring on those features. I,ll have to agree with alan here, with no sound, it's another momentum feature.

Downloading everything from Ring's website was long but worth it.

Brake: I do not understand that feature. There is a small red % number showing up and it goes up the longer I press the brake button. I would need more explanation on the brake button. I heard a squeal sound when it reached 100% tho and the train was stopped, but I had to turn the knob down too, but, all of this is a bit confusing.

Only downside for me is that my HC-2 screen seems to be less precise and sometimes not responding when I press it. Sometimes too it feels like I have to press the screen to the right of the button I want to press for it to detect my thumb on the button, like if the touch area was all moved a whole centimeter to the right when compared to the position of the buttons. (yes that means the button on the far rigth of the screen aren't responding) It does that when battery is less than 1/3 (which supposedly is still enough to run trains for quite a while. So, I may try to drain the battery life completely and recharge completely. if it doesn't work, would the reset button help?

Thank you everyone!

Antoine

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:24:23 AM by Antoine L. »
Modeling a mix of CN / Wisconsin central on a 12x15 freelance area.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
I haven't had a chance to try the brake yet.

The battery strength should not affect button calibration. Has the controller been dropped or banged recently? You can try the reset button, but Tim doesn't recommend that, except as a last resort. Having said that, I have reset mine many times without any noticeable damage. If you do reset it, the battery calibration will be off until you do a full recharge.

If you email Tim, I'm sure he will have some suggestions.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
I have found that using the tip of my fingernail is always more accurate than using the pad of my fingers.  I'm not sure what part of your fingers you are using, but try using a part that puts more pressure on the screen.  Bill uses the ends of uncoupling sticks and it works great.

The brake is something I am still playing with.  The red number is the brake percentage, from 0-100%.  If you hold the button down it will build up to 100% or maximum braking.  Depending on how you have your locomotive set up with start/max speed and accel/decel settings the locomotive may come to a stop before the brake sound plays.  It typically will play right before the locomotive has come completely to a stop.  If your decel settings are turned up (mine are) the locomotive may take a while to come to a stop even at 100% brake.  If there is no load the locomotive will stop very quickly, almost immediately.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Thanks for that info Kevin. That will be helpful when I finally get to try the brake. ::)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Antoine L.

• Engineer
Releasing the brake will bring the loco speed back to its knob setting right? So when breaking, once it reaches 100%, one should turn knob down completely?

Thanks for the info

Antoine
Modeling a mix of CN / Wisconsin central on a 12x15 freelance area.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
For those that have not seen it (it may be very recent as I don't recall seeing it there last night) RE has a manual on the DCC mode on their website. Good reading on the capabilities. Very cool that the new features work in DCC as well. In fact it seems that the only thing that is not supported in DCC mode is radio consisting and load sharing; which may be one and the same thing.

http://ringengineering.com/DccHome.htm

- Tim