Author Topic: 'NEW' Status  (Read 119 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
    • View Profile
'NEW' Status
« on: September 30, 2017, 11:15:37 PM »
Bill, is there a way to modify the 'NEW' status in each category. For example, in the GENERAL DISCUSSION section the icon shows new messages. So, I click on the GENERAL DISCUSSION link and inside I see two threads with new messages. However, after clicking on one of the threads and not the second it will no longer show new messages in that category even though there are unread new messages in a different thread. Maybe it isn't possible or desired but I wanted to ask.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society
trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: 'NEW' Status
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:33:11 AM »
Jacob,

That probably requires modification to the core code of the forum. I don't know if Bill is familiar with that, even though I believe he is experienced in PHP.

Myself I just right click and open threads in new tabs so maybe that might be an easier option for you, that way you won't loose the 'NEW' icons.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 07:05:36 AM »
Well, this is interesting. I thought I would take a gander at the simplemachines PHP code to see how it registers user page visits. There appears to be a DNS problem with simplemachines.org.

[EDIT] Scratch that. It was my ISP that is having DNS problems. Changed to Google DNS and all is well.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:41:11 AM by Alan »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »
https://www.simplemachines.org/ works for me.

I don't really want to tinker with the code for the forum, but if there is a plugin that help with this I'm all ears.

Beyond that, At the top of the forum pages there is a link to
Show unread posts since last visit. https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?action=unread

And at the bottom of the forum homepage page, there is a link for
View the most recent posts on the forum. https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?action=recent

Generally I open each topic in a new tab also.

I find all of these useful.
- Bill

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, and owner of Precision Design Co., RailPro Dealer, and RPUG Admin

Alan

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »
Bill, if you do decide to tinker I believe the script you want to modify is 'recent.php'. The SQL query is different depending on user position in the tree. That's are far as I went. 
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro