Author Topic: Railpro Assisstant Initiation  (Read 3312 times)

garyiii

• Fireman
Railpro Assisstant Initiation
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:28 AM »
As a newbee, I am trying to get Railpro Assistant and Simulator to work in Win10.
The first question I have is R.A. Asks for my email address and password.  My usuall email is on hotmail.com, but my ISP has given me an email address which I'm not sure what it is anymore because I never have used it in ten years.

The second question is, which password do they want,  my usual email password, my isp password, my user group password, my RailPro unit password, or do I have a password at Ring Engineering that I don't know about?

If I can get these answers, I can go on to the next Puzzle.   Thanks, GaryIII

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Railpro Assisstant Initiation
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:41:33 AM »
Gary,

The email address will be used as your logon ID to identify your Ring Engineering account.
You can use whichever address you prefer.

The password is used to log into your Ring Engineering account with the RPA.
You can just make one up.

Keep it on file as you will need it if you ever have to re-install your software on another pc or if the settings are accidentally lost.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

garyiii

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »
Thanks, that makes sense.  I could not imagine giving out the actual passwords to my accounts, but stranger things have happened.  Thanks again. G III

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
Bill, when I first signed up for a RE account, I supplied an email address and they assigned a password. Has that changed now?
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:56:05 AM »
Password selection is automatic now. I think when you signed up you still had to use the web based tools for loading software instead of the RPA. Now you just fill out the form in the RPA and your account is created automatically.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »
Yes, I did, and my original password is still working. Thanks.
Al

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 08:48:01 AM »
The password is used to log into your Ring Engineering account with the RPA.
You can just make one up.

Keep it on file as you will need it if you ever have to re-install your software on another pc or if the settings are accidentally lost.

If you forget your password and your settings in RPA become corrupted or lost or some other disaster Tim Ring should be able to reset it. From the RPA manual:
NOTE: If you receive a “bad password” error message when you exit the setup page, you will need to send an email to info@ringengineering.com to have your password changed. Please include the  password you want to use in the email you send to Ring Engineering.

I'm starting to think I should write an "Illustrated guide to downloading and installing RailPro Assistant" ::), given how unintuitive parts of the setup are it might just save more people from being perplexed. Choosing your own password is not even the the manual!

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »
I'm starting to think I should write an "Illustrated guide to downloading and installing RailPro Assistant"

I think that's a great idea.

garyiii

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
I also think simple flow charts of the steps to accomplish various things would be very useful.  Please use the EXACT WORDING as shown on the software screen.  ie, the instruction manual says to go to UPDATE SOFTWARE, but the RP screen says SOFTWARE REV1.0 -->REV2.0 UPDATE.

it is also not clear how to hit SAVE after you have updated a file.  Do you go to Main page and back down or what.  I just had to stumble around and sometimes get it and sometimes not.

All in all the software is wonderful, it just needs some explaining and callout fixes.  Gary III

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »
Gary, if you copy a file from the HC to a LM it is saved automatically. If you change a button setting or any of the options for a LM, you need to save it. After you make the change you will be brought to the Save page automatically.
Al

garyiii

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
Thanks.  Didn't seem to happen that way on my setup.  I will try again tomorrow and see.  Still like the system, even if the learning curve is a little confusing because of lack of consistency in nomenclature.  G III