Author Topic: Help finding a loco  (Read 2077 times)

alancon

• Fireman
Help finding a loco
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:07:08 PM »

I'd really like to get into RailPro, but...I'm far from adept at decoder (module) installation - I can no longer solder tiny wires to other tiny wires.

What I'd like to find is a loco that I can actually plug an LN3S into - and then proceed to actually use the RailPro system.

So I'm looking for recommendations about a loco that I can "plug and play".

I do NOT want an SD70MAC-ish loco. I want a 1950's type - a Geep something or other or an F unit or some such. Obvious with a speaker already installed.

So do any of you have a suggestion for an off the shelf loco I can buy and use?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Help finding a loco
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:18:40 AM »
Alancon, What locomotive models do you already have?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:31:01 AM »
"DCC Ready" is the term you need to look for on the loco box.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:31:40 AM »
Just about all locomotives that are DCC ready do not have speakers installed, so even if there is an 8 pin plug, you will have to find a place to install a speaker. Atlas GP40-2 diesels have a nice 28mm speaker enclosure built-in. You just attach 1 or 2 speakers and solder the brown wires.

Also, many steam locomotives have an 8 pin plug in the tender for a module and room for a speaker, and are the easiest to work with. Bachmann Spectrum, MTH and BLI are some of the top names.

Another option is to send any locomotive to Yankee Dabbler or Traintek and they will install the module and speaker for you for a fee.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:33:18 AM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:00:51 AM »
The Athearn web site tells you at the bottom of each locomotive page if the model is DCC ready and if it is sound ready. Browse through their locos until you find one that is ready for both.

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATHG64113

Capture.PNG
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro