Author Topic: CI-1 Not Installed  (Read 6046 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: CI-1 Not Installed
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »
!!!!!!!!!!. Well, I'm not going to type what I said out loud when I saw that list. I think every part of your laptop, including the case must be a HID device! I need to think of this from a different angle.

Since it's a new laptop it most likely came with a bunch of crapware preinstalled on it so let's try this:

Open up task manager and get to the more details view and click on the processes tab (have a quick read here https://www.windowscentral.com/how-identify-and-terminate-high-resource-processes-using-task-manager-windows-10). Take some screen shots to capture all the entries and post them to me either here if your comfortable with that or email them to me.

Once done and while I'm reviewing it we'll see if the CI-1 can be detected without all the extra stuff running.

Reboot into safe mode (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode). Then run HC Simulator, the CI-1 should be detected and show up in HC Sim. If not it probably just means that Win won't load the device driver for it in safe mode (which it should) and not that the CI-1 is defective. Please report back if it does or doesn't.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »
Tim, PM sent.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
Tim, to answer your earlier question there has been a lot installed since I first reinstalled Win10.  The HC Sim and CI-1 were the first things I installed and it worked fine.  Sometime after that the CI-1 stopped connecting to the HC Sim.  I'm not sure what program would be blocking it, but it doesn't work even in Safe Mode.  It does show up in the list of USB devices and the drivers install correctly.

The only thing I can think of would be that my laptop may have had some deeper settings configured in order to run a program for work that has to communicate with the central server.  That program is kind of a pain to work with and I'm leaning towards it as being the problem.  It has to stay though.

CI-1 works fine on my desktop also running Win10, with most of the same programs on it (besides the work program).

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 07:44:49 PM »
Kevin, that's interesting. The work program does sound like a likely candidate but I doubt it's a setting somewhere but rather something that has been badly written. In my research last night I did discover some people that had had trouble with their PIC programmer not being recognised by their programming software and some crapware (and also a configuration utility for a mouse) which runs at startup was to blame.

We can look at this if you want.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »
No need to look deeper into it at this point.  My wife just got a Surface Pro with Win10 Pro and RPA, HC-Sim, and CI-1 all work as expected on it.  My work laptop will stay a work laptop.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 08:08:42 PM »
My wife just got a Surface Pro with Win10 Pro and RPA, HC-Sim, and CI-1 all work as expected on it.

Glad to hear it Kevin!!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.