Author Topic: Took the plunge  (Read 6349 times)

Joel B.

• Fireman
Re: Took the plunge
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
Hi Folks,
My question was more directed more as "do specific brands/models lend them selves to easy installs" Like is Atlas or "insert another brand" more difficult than another. I am just asking, a new user might buy one brand or another for their first install to get them selves going quicker and gain experience. For my choice I am a diesel guy but still would want to go for an easy "first time" adventure. With out having my sweaty hands on an engine to see what's inside, what brands seem to make it more easy? Follow?
Thanks again,
Joel B.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »
Only someone that has opened up a lot of different locomotives will be able to answer that question. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I can say be careful with end cab switchers. An LM won't fit in Atlas S2, S4.

The installs posted on this forum would make good go-bys. You know everything fits and can see pictures too!
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

CampbellRice

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
Be sure to update your HC-2 or HC2b and your decoders first thing you get it. I didn't and wish I had. Basically started over again as I had issues with the new sounds working properly.

Edavis

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
Alright I received my starter set and was up and rolling in less then a hour. I only have one loco with the quick plug unfortunately but really happy with the super easy install on that. I only have two more locos that I ll use on the layout for now but I have no idea how to hook the rp up to those?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »
Congratulations Edavis on getting up and running!

I suggest you stat a new thread in the RailPro Installation section with some photos of your units insides and request some suggestions about how to set them up!

RailPro Installation section: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/board,2.0.html
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Edavis

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
Thanks William,lol I'm not very tech savvy.But I must say rp is refreshingly easy to use and the loco seems to run as good or better than before I iam very happy with the rp.

MRL Trains

• Fireman
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
Hi Folks,
My question was more directed more as "do specific brands/models lend them selves to easy installs" Like is Atlas or "insert another brand" more difficult than another. I am just asking, a new user might buy one brand or another for their first install to get them selves going quicker and gain experience. For my choice I am a diesel guy but still would want to go for an easy "first time" adventure. With out having my sweaty hands on an engine to see what's inside, what brands seem to make it more easy? Follow?
Thanks again,
Joel B.

Athearn RTR has a 9 pin JST connector for quick and easy install on their DCC Ready locos.  I believe Athearn Genesis does too.
Chris
Modeling the Mullan Pass in 1995

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
I believe Athearn Genesis does too.

Yes they do.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.