Poll

I would prefer to use RailPro software on my...

MAC computer
6 (19.4%)
Windows PC computer
24 (77.4%)
Other
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: November 22, 2017, 12:41:15 PM

Author Topic: Would you prefer to use MAC or PC for RailPro? (POLL)  (Read 6020 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Would you prefer to use MAC or PC for RailPro? (POLL)
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
I'm wondering how many RailPro user group members would prefer a MAC version
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:42:53 PM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Would you prefer to use MAC or PC for RailPro? (POLL)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »
My bet is on 100% of the Mac users.  :P
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »
That's a safe bet Alan!!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »
The last time I used a MAC was back in the 90's in University (it was one of those everything in one box design - think Macintosh Classic), and I loathed it every single monochrome step of the way.

I presume there are some that are MAC who would love a Mac version. I'll stick with my PC. Both are still magic boxes to me...

PC LOAD LETTER...
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
I'll go back to DCC before I get rid of my Mac and buy a !@#$%^& PC. So yeah, RailPro compatible software would be great!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »

PC LOAD LETTER...

Hello Peter........
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:20:59 PM »
Gee if one didn't know? I have a piece of crap windows 7 to work the RP thumb drive and nothing else.  Not going to up grade when and if that one dies. I have had Apple since the very beginning and yes it was and had little choices but my 2015 iMac does everything that I really like, ever talk to Siri? It sure works for me.  Oh ya, free upgrades on the operating system and I am on Sierra.  The old guy in the desert, DRY, well not ME !!!  :)

glenng6

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »
I would absolutely prefer a Mac version. I don’t do Windows and have no reason to.

Glenn

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 07:32:39 AM »
I'll stick with Windows. I bought an iPad Mini to do Face Time with my grandson. Other than that, this tablet is buggy and exudes Apple's proprietary garbage. Also, their prices are off the chart. $1000 for the new iPhone 8 is absurd. Although I have heard many positive comments about Apple PCs, I have never tried one, and probably never will.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
I see we have a Linux vote (presumably). Hope you are not holding off using RP waiting on that one. It would be interesting to see if RP Simulator will run on Linux/Wine. Who knows, maybe RP on Linux is already here.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »
I'll stick with Windows. I bought an iPad Mini to do Face Time with my grandson. Other than that, this tablet is buggy and exudes Apple's proprietary garbage. Also, their prices are off the chart. $1000 for the new iPhone 8 is absurd. Although I have heard many positive comments about Apple PCs, I have never tried one, and probably never will.

Don't confuse my admiration for OS as applying to iOS as well. I have my Mac, my iPad, a company iPad, and an iPhone. While I wouldn't trade my Mac for anything I routinely want to through my iPhone and iPad out of the window of the nearest tallest building.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »
Apple makes decent consumer oriented devices all-in-all. The turn it on and it just works crowd gravitate to them. Not to say a Windows or Android device isn't turn it on it works. Just that Apple, with their closed ecosystem, has much tighter control and thus better ability to make sure the "it just works" part stays in place. For instance, look at the app submission requirements difference between Apple and Google. Worlds apart. Apple has an extensive list of requirements and one dare not deviate from them if you want your app published. Google, on the other hand, is pretty much anything goes. Unfortunately, the price Apple owners pay for "it just works" is generally a much higher initial purchase price and somewhat fewer software titles to select from. RP being one example. For the person who has zero interest in 'learning' a device and would rather simply 'use' a device Apple is the way to fly. The vast majority of consumers fall into the 'use it' category and thus why Apple is a good choice.

Consumer devices is Apple's playground. When it comes to heavy iron - servers, render farms, enterprise, etc. - Apple is a no-show with less than 1% of the market. Windows dominates and the rest is Linux. That alone deflates the argument that Windows is an inferior operating system. An awful lot of Windows bashing is not truly the fault of Windows. Much like a locomotive, the man on the throttle plays a big role in how well the machine does the job.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:17:27 PM by Alan »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

CampbellRice

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
Don't know if it's possible or if it would even be considered but a RailPro phone app would be awesome. Not sure how you would get the radio to work.

Ken Z

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
I do most of my work on a MAC however the CI-1 is being used on a laptop.  As a note, I received the CI-1 and LM-3S recently and plugged it into an S scale Switcher.  I had some "confusion"getting the correct software loaded but once I got that straight the engine run right away.  While I have not gone deep into all the details, the engine runs great on Rail Pro, the load application is really fun.  I brought it to a show, set the engine on the rails adjusted the rail voltage to the 14 volt range and the engine worked just like that.  Frankly, I am suspicious.... anything electronic should not be this simple.  S Scale model railroaders are not accustomed to anything being simple.  Ken Zieska
Ken Zieska

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »
Welcome to the easy life Ken! I've had RP for over three years now and love every minute of it.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org