Author Topic: Lost Contact with loco  (Read 3807 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Lost Contact with loco
« on: October 14, 2015, 03:24:00 AM »
Here's the situation:

I updated my HC2 from 1.23 to 1.25 today.
After doing that, I changed the name of one of my locos as it was displaying oddly. (which was also the case before the HC2 was updated.)

The name change was saved, but the image for the loco was missing after the rename.
The space for the loco is still present on the select loco screen, but it cannot be selected.
I was able to load it's MU partner's control screen and I could see the loco was still present in the MU Group.
When I moved the partner, the missing loco still moved with it.
When I broke the MU group, then it was gone.
Find product shows no new products.

Here is the select loco screen, top left is the missing loco:

2015-10-14 missing loco.JPG

Suggestions?

Note: I have submitted this to Ring Engineering, I'll let you know what I hear back.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Lost Contact with loco
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »
Now and then we may get glitches. Fortunately, most of them are not permanent and Tim can usually figure out what went wrong.

Make sure the picture you lost is still in RPA, then delete the loco from the HC-2. Load the picture in from RPA, then press "Find Product". That should bring either your picture or the default RE loco picture back into the locomotive screen. You should be able to change the picture to your own if necessary.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 12:38:57 PM »
Make sure the picture you lost is still in RPA, then delete the loco from the HC-2.

And that's the bigger problem... I can't click on the loco that should be in the blank space to remove it.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »
This is a strange one that I haven't experienced yet.

If you go to Tools, Software Update, Delete Files, HC-2, is the picture file still there? If so, delete it, then see if the RE loco picture for the missing locomotive is back on the locomotive screen. If it is, copy your picture back in from RPA and see if the picture can be changed. It sounds like the LM is still in the controller but you just can't access it.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »
Tim Says:

Hi Bill,

We have seen one other customer that had this problem.  On the other one we saw the loco was still in memory (this is why you can not find it again.)  The problem is you can not select it.  You can try to go to the delete loco page and select the blank spot. If you can delete the loco then delete the picture from the HC it will likely recover.  The problem is you likely can not delete the loco because you can not select it.  If you touch the blank picture and do not select it try to touch in the upper left corner to select it.  There may be one pixel in the upper left corner that will take as a selection.  If it can not be deleted then you will need to send the HC to us to fix.

We think there is something wrong with the picture.  Is the blank picture a custom picture you created? If so, can you send us the source .BMP file that you used to make the RailPro file?  What photo editor did you use to make the picture with?

We apologize for the trouble.

Tim
Ring Engineering Inc.

My Results:

The original picture for the loco (CN 5320) disappeared after renaming the loco.
I was renaming the loco because it's name had a bunch of 'noise' characters in front of it in the settings view.
I wish I had taken a picture of it. it looked like ▒▒▒▒▒N SD40-2   The actual name was CN SD40-2

A copy of the original picture is attached. It was created with Corel Draw X3.
Other locos use images created the same way without issue.

I was not able to select the loco (CN 5320)

I took my new HC2 and tried adding the loco (CN 5320) to it. It fails and indicates "file not found".
I was able to add other locos to the new HC2 without problems.

So it looks like I will need to send the HC2 and the LM2S to you.
This LM2S is the one I have done the most testing with in the past.