Author Topic: CI-1 Not Installed  (Read 5960 times)

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
CI-1 Not Installed
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
I bought a new Dell laptop running Win10. RPA and the HC Simulator have been installed. Windows recognized the CI-1 and set it up, but the Sim is not seeing it. I have repeated the installation twice with the same result. Any suggestions?
CI-1 not connected.PNG
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:25:17 AM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: CI-1 Not Installed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
Al,

We've had this before and we managed to solve it. I believe the problem will be similar, if not the same as last time (https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,347.msg2689.html#msg2689) however I'm off to bed now as it's after 3am here so I'll pop back in after I get up and we can start analysis, unless someone else solves it in the meantime.

To start with you can open up Device Manager and look for any HID devices for me.

- Tim
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:07:36 AM by G8B4Life »

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
My CI-1 is having the same problem, and has been basically since the beginning.  The only time it worked was after a fresh install of Win10, but sometime thereafter it stopped again, probably due to an HID driver that is interfering with the CI-1 somehow.  I'll have to see about backdating some drivers and see if that works.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »
I think you are right Kevin. Something must be blocking the CI-1, although it works perfectly with my Win10 desktop. The only difference with the laptop is that it is dual mode, touch-screen, but I don't use it that way, so that shouldn't affect it.

Maybe we should give Tim a wake-up call in about an hour.  ;D ;D
Al

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »
Maybe we should give Tim a wake-up call in about an hour.  ;D ;D

Good luck getting me out of bed on a Sunday morning  ;)

Now to start, two things. If you have a HC as well (2 and 2b are different so that's important), does that work or not plugged in?

First well check if the CI-1 is actually identified properly. I'd like to you download usbdview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) and run it. Look for the CI-1, it should show as a HID device. If it doesn't that's a problem but it should all be ok in this regard. You can post a screen capture (double click on the CI-1 in usbdview for a better report) if it doesn't show as a USB HID device.

Next, I'd like you to open Device Manager and choose Show Hidden Devices from the View menu. Then look for any HID devices, particularly any virtual HID devices. Report back what devices you find and we'll take it from there.

Kevin, do you recall installing any new software or hardware after the CI-1 was working?

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:18:48 AM »

Tim, the HC-2 was set up in windows, but cannot download files through RPA (cannot connect error).
Here is a screenshot of USBDView and Device Manager:
Al

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »

Tim, the HC-2 was set up in windows, but cannot download files through RPA (cannot connect error).
Here is a screenshot of USBDView and Device Manager:

From your screen capture of usbdview it appears that the CI-1 is not installed correctly, it's not showing up by device name which it should. There is also an unknown USB device present. I need to to do this. Run usbdview again. For each HID device double click it. We are looking for the device that has a product ID of f321 and a vendor ID of 04d8. Once you find it take a screen capture of the screen and post me that please.

For the HC, do you have a HC-2 or HC-2b? and does RPA say the HC is connected when it is plugged in? the HC does not show up in usbdview either.

Also, when taking a screen capture, do it this way, press and hold the "alt" key and then press the "print screen" key. This will copy just the active window to the clipboard which you can then paste into paint or another graphics program.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »

I plugged in the Hc2 once more and it was able to download files. It took 4 tries. This has been a constant problem for years.

I was unable to get a screenshot with Alt/Print screen so here is a snip of the CI-1, which I was able to locate in USBDView.

Al

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 09:33:30 AM »
Generally it looks ok but I'm concerned that it doesn't show a hub/port assigned in the column on the right hand side (9th entry down). Did you download the 64 bit (x64) version of usbdview (Win10 is 64 bit)? If you did download the 64 bit version check if the other active HID devices have a hub/port assigned. If you didn't download the 64 bit version please do so and try again. I've never seen that not assigned behavior before.

Ok, so the HC connects and can download but is flaky. It works so that's good; the flakyness affects everyone.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 09:48:46 AM »

I downloaded the x64 version. None of the other HID's have hub/port assignments either. Are you running out of ideas Tim?  :o

The HC2 "Cannot connect" issue has been a headache for everyone. Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to correct.
Al

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
Not running out of ideas, just running on empty; it's getting very late, or should I say early here (like, it's after 3am again) and I'll be off to bed after this post.

Strange that nothing is showing a Hub/Port assignment but maybe that's how your PC is. Another things that concerns me about it's installation is why it's not showing it's proper name in the device name field however again nothing is showing a proper name so maybe that's how your PC is. Maybe it's a USB3 thing.

When you had Device Manager open was there not a section called "HID devices" or "Human Interface Devices"? That's the section I need to see what's in there, not the USB section as you posted. Also make sure that you select Display Hidden Devices from the view menu in Device Manager.

I'll also send you a PM with a couple more questions.

- Tim

gcarter1945

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
I can't remember rightly if this is related to your problem.  However, I once had similar problems to what you are describing.  The solution for me was to disconnect the RR-CirKits Locobuffer-USB that I was using in connection with JMRI and my Digitrax layout.  Since I will be converting all my fleet to RailPro, I won't be needing JMRI to set CVs in the future.  I hope this helps.  Remember, your mileage may vary.

Geoff
Too soon old, too late smart.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »
I don't use any of the Digitrax or DCC products. I'm strictly RailPro, but thanks for the reply Geoff.
Al

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 09:46:08 PM »
The solution for me was to disconnect the RR-CirKits Locobuffer-USB that I was using in connection with JMRI and my Digitrax layout.

Both the LocoBuffer-USB  and HC-2 (not sure on the HC-2b) use virtual COM ports to communicate between the PC and the device. My guess is that the LocoBuffer USB and the HC are both set to use the same COM port. This is can be changed easily which should allow both to be plugged in and used at the same time.

Al,

Did you look in Device Manager for "Human Interface Devices"? I'm particularity interested in seeing if there are any virtual ones.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 07:19:34 AM »

I did. The list is long.

Al