Author Topic: Introduce Yourself...  (Read 83417 times)

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: Introduce Yourself...
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
Welcome Espeelark!

Long live the Espee. While I'm currently modelling CP Rail & VIA in my hometown, my heart will always beat red & scarlet.

I still have a small portion of my SP fleet from my SP modelling 20 years ago (has it been that long?), and recently 6 new SP locos and a caboose have found their way onto my layout. It's amazing how they weasel their way in...

In fact, there are the 4 SP GP40X's on the workbench in process of getting RailPro installed.

I've been running RailPro since 2015. I tried NCE back in the day, and found the whole DCC thing frustrating, so went back to Dinosaur Control. You'll LOVE RailPro!!
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

MichaelK

• Fireman
« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »
Hello RailPro users!

My train life started in the late 50’s. When I was about four years old, my Mom and Dad bought some Lionel HO trains and ran them on Atlas snap track/switches/controllers, set up on a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, supported by sawhorses. They ran the trains a lot more than I did. As I got older, I collected quite a bit of Athearn (blue box) and AHM/Riverossi engines and rolling stock. With the help of my Dad, in the late 60’s we built an open grid layout with homasote and Tru-Scale roadbed with nickel silver rail. Then we dismantled it and moved in 1972 and put everything in boxes, where it remains to this day. Fast forward to Christmas 1987, when I received a G-scale LGB starter set from my wife. I expanded that set into the early '90s, but after a couple more moves, I put everything into storage.  I got the bug again about four years ago and started collecting more G-scale trains again in anticipation of building a new layout. I'm partial to USA Trains and Aristocraft 1/29 G-Scale engines and cars. Last year, I began converting my engines to battery power with the Airwire system. After completing two engines with Airwire, I discovered RailPro and was hooked. I’ve already converted one GP9 with the HC-2-SUN controller, an LM-3S module, a 14.8V battery pack, and I won’t look back!

Rgolding

• Brakeman
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »
Hi Folks,

My name is Ric Golding, I am a retired USCG Chief Boatswain Mate, but ran a marina for 25 years after that.  I have operated 1:20.3 largescale trains with batteries and radio control since 1998.  Just put in to service 2 Box Cabs, built by a friend and another friend installed RailPro in them for me.  Like the way they operate and want to learn more.

Smooth Sailing,
Ric Golding
Kaskaskia Valley Railways
Carlyle, Illinois

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
Welcome Chief, glad you are here. You will be happy you went Railpro once you learn how easy it is to operate your trains. There may be a few snag in learning how to set it up but this group includes many knowledgeable members who are eager to share their knowledge, so don’t hesitate to ask.
Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

mcbunton

• Fireman
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2020, 09:09:33 PM »
My name is Martin Bunton, Lamar, MO, (35 miles from Joplin for those that remember the tornado there) and we have a place at the Lake of the Ozarks (someone mentioned a marina in their intro).

I grew up 1/2 mile from the Missouri Pacific line, and now live 7 miles south of that farm but still 1/2 mile from the RR that is now the Missouri Northern Arkansas.  Just sold the grain elevator I owned 20 miles west that was on the BN.  I have sold grain handling and storage for 50 years as well, including a 90 ft diameter 450,000 bushel bin and 20,000bph leg with Compuweigh tower on that MNA line about 80 miles north.  So if anyone has  desire to model grain structures I might be able to help?

When we built our current home 20 years ago we built a lawn pond that I always intended to run a G scale around and collected some track etc.  Finally sold off the major part of the business (my wife said she married me for better or worse 48 yrs ago, but not for lunch)  and have some extra time, got some track laid and wanted to use battery power and avoid track connection problems.  Found Rail Pro and Don Sweet thru the power of Google and viola, this afternoon I just ran my new to me Astrocraft Union Pacific A&B unit with Rail Pro.  Super simple to get started with Don's great directions.  Now to peruse this forum and learn all that is available. 

Thanks for approving me!

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2020, 02:31:01 AM »
Welcome, Martin. I am somewhat familiar with your locale, having lived in West Central Arkansas until two years ago. Been in the Joplin area many times and used to try to catch trout near Joplin. Glad you weren’t injured in that tornado, those are vicious devils. Railpro is much more intuitive than DCC and it is obvious you are enjoying it.
Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

MichaelK

• Fireman
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »
Welcome, MichaelK!

Thanks. Nice to be here! :P

Jeff

• Fireman
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2020, 11:19:10 AM »
Howdy

My name is Jeff Martin I am a retired computer engineer from the great state of Texas. I was introduced to Railpro on a YouTube video (can't remember which) and was sold after watching the consist features. I am in the building process of my layout so my RP is sitting in a box, hopefully I'll have enough done to runs some trains by Christmas.

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »
Welcome, Jeff, I lived in Irving, TX about 20 years ago. Nice place and enjoyed it, was recalled to a company for whom I had worked.
Cecil
ATSF

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
Good Morning,  my name is Jon and I model in Fn3, primarily steam outline.

I am currently exploring RailPro as a control system for my indoor/outdoor dead rail layout.  I currently use a 2.4Ghz radio control system that utilizes a 2-stick radio, 2.4Ghz R/C receiver, an ESC/Control board and a sound board. I've been happy with that system for years, but unfortunately the small manufacturer changed directions and no longer makes the ESC/Control board I use.

Enter RailPro.  I've been friends with a Northeast RailPro dealer for years and he is always talking up the product.  I've done lots of reading, but nothing is a substitute for first hand experience. Wanting to keep my exploratory investment low, I purchased one LM-3S-G and one CI- which are scheduled to arrive next week.

My plan is to audition the system on my indoor layout using my PC and the HC Simulator for control.  I am most curious about the sound. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Phoenix Sound fan and have many of their boards ranging from the 1997 Big Sound to the more recent PB-11 all driving large baffled speakers which sound great.  RailPro is up against some stiff competition with me  :D

Jkubala

• Brakeman
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2020, 03:07:42 PM »
My name is Joe, and I am just getting back into model railroading in retirement after 40+ years.  After looking at options, I decided to go with Railpro for my new layout, which is currently in the early stages of construction.  I have installed the LM-3S in two engines, and am satisfied so far.  Just received a new BLI 4-8-8-2 cab forward with Paragon 3.  I am sure there will be questions as I convert the engine and begin wiring the layout.

Mr. E

• Fireman
  • My Cool Trains!
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2020, 10:30:01 PM »
My name is Eli.  I never was interested in trains as a kid.  I never got a train set under the Christmas tree.  But, In the fall of 2017 I was at a local flea market (South Central PA) where I found and bought a box of old train cars. These were hand made with sprung trucks, cast couplers and fine wire details. I was amazed because these did not look like the cheap plastic Tyco trains I remembered from the late 70’s and 80’s. This got the researcher in me studying every detail of the hobby.

I decided to try my hand at modeling. So, I built a 10” x 10” x 10” diorama with two pieces of sectional track using all the information I learned.  I then made a 14” x 24” x 10” module, then anther similar one at 48” long. I am now working on a 4’ x 6’ potable layout.

I do have a dc controller but after watching kevin’s (KPack) Videos on YouTube, I decided to go with Railpro.  I almost went with NCE but I kept putting it off because I did not like how the trains would stall or work sporadically on dirty track with dcc. Since I am mainly making small portable shelf-type modular layouts, the Railpro with battery power works best for me.

I am looking forward to using the Railpro HC-2 controller and CI-1 I purchased and installing the LMS-3 chips in the trains I have.  I am hoping to learn more about this product line here on this user group.
- Eli
Railpro on Dead Rail on Modular Layout.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2020, 12:14:46 AM »
We've had a few new members lately so welcome Jon, Joe and Eli and I'm pretty sure some others who haven't introduced themselves. ...and also MichealK whom we seem to have missed a month and a bit ago.

- Tim

Mr. E

• Fireman
  • My Cool Trains!
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2020, 10:57:57 AM »
Thanks Tim!
- Eli
Railpro on Dead Rail on Modular Layout.

trainman605

• Engineer
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »
I don't think I introduced myself and I'm been around for a month or two. Older guy living in Ft. Worth, Texas. I have been into G scale for 30 years (collecting mainly LGB American engines and rolling stock, I have never built a layout in G Scale, but have a layout in HOn3 modeling the D&RGW NG. I have started with selling some of my LGB on eBay and purchasing newer stuff, that is thinning my G gauge to build a more manageable railroad and use all that I now have, in other words clean out the closet to have a more manageable railroad. I need to say here I'm not a collector, I'm a modeler and I re-build, re-due all my engines and rolling stock to give it that detailed and re-painted to my own railroad, the Ft. Worth & South-Western, an intercity railroad that serves local Ft. Worth and the Stockyards back in the early 40's. I haven't decided if my layout will be outside, or inside, but being a modeler and liking my stuff detailed I'm pretty sure it will be inside. I've spend too much time on re-dues to have them subject to dealing with the elements outside. Like I said, I'm a modeler first and a runner second.
I guess the reason that I'm on this forum is to gain information on RailPro, I will say here I only looked at two systems, AirWire and RailPro, after much input on both I decided to go with RailPro. I have purchased my first RailPro stuff from Don at RCS of New England and it is in the process of being shipped to me as we speak, (11-29-2020). I purchased the complete system and one module for one engine, I'm planning on doing installs on three engines at this time, but will start with one and learn the process then add more installs in time. That's about it for now. 

trainman