Author Topic: LM-3 NONE FUNCTIONAL WHAT TO DO?  (Read 2512 times)

Carter

• Fireman
LM-3 NONE FUNCTIONAL WHAT TO DO?
« on: December 15, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »
I have a GP 9? and installed a LM-3S works fine I decided to not add sound and replaced the 3S with a LM-3 brand new out of the box and will not run. HC says all good and the speed indicator reads 0 to 100% both direction Fwd Revs. No movement. Defective LM 3? is this under a warranty from Ring?

What to do return to Ring or to Bill?

Carter

PS this is my 3rd install other two on LM3 work great only LM-3 to give me a problem.

KPack

• Conductor
Re: LM-3 NONE FUNCTIONAL WHAT TO DO?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »
It certainly could be a possible defective LM-3S.  Ring's manufacturing standards are high, but things can still go wrong.  I have had one or two modules that had a manufacturing defect....this is over 5 years and dozens of modules.  Ring will make things right.  Just be sure that you've checked everything (wiring, etc) to be sure there are no issues there.  It sounds like that should all be good to go based on the fact that the LM-3S worked fine.

One more thing....did you set a new FLMC when you put the module in?  Also check for binding in the drivetrain.  I've had two installs where I thought something was wrong with the module, when it happened to be a stray wire that dropped down and caught the U-joint on the driveshaft....kept it from moving at all.  Check for these things and if all is good there then email Ring about sending the module in for eval/repair/replacement.

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:59:15 PM »
If it is not too much trouble you might want to swap the LM-3S back in to verify module change is the culprit before engaging Ring.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
Alan is right, pop in the other module to confirm it.

After that, if it is the module, let me know and we'll do an immediate exchange by mail.
OR contact Ring and he will take care of replacement and usually offer you a deep discount on another module if you wish to get one.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions. Bill I will install another LM 3 mod not the LM3s and if all works I will let you know Bill and do an exchange. If Ring offers a discount I will buy another also.

Kevin I don't know FLMC is so I may not have set a new one.

Thanks all Carter.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:36:46 AM »
FLMC = Full load motor current. The only required action with a new module install.

flmc.PNG
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:06:54 AM »
I will let you know Bill and do an exchange. If Ring offers a discount I will buy another also.

Clarification: you have 2 options for dealing with a bad LM when you purchase from PDC.CA

1. Send to Ring Engineering for Repair or Replacement:
- Contact Ring Engineering (RE) and arrange to send your LM in.
- RE will assess your LM and either repair or replace it.
- RE may, at their discretion, offer a discount on the purchase of a new item directly from RE.
- RE will send your repaired item or replacement back to you, with your new product if you chose to purchase one.

2. Advance Exchange form PDC.CA:
- Contact PDC to arrange an advance exchange.
- Send your bad LM to PDC with tracking.
- When PDC receives your tracking number, PDC will send out the replacement LM.
- PDC will assess the LM and handle any warranty issue with Ring.

Advance exchange is faster than waiting for Ring Engineering to repair your LM. Sending your LM to Ring is slower but may have the advantage of the discount offer.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »
Thanks Alan the LM3 in question was removed and a Load test on the new LM3 was completed.. All works great. M3 in question would not do a motor load test.

This morning I installed a new LM3 and performed a motor load test ok, and new image on HC. I need to remove the old image. Can someone explain how to remove an image?

Thank you all for your help.

Carter

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
Can someone explain how to remove an image?

Carter,

Load your new picture onto the LM using the Tools/Update Product/Copy File routine on the HC or HC Sim.
Go to the LM programming screen, and click the picture of the loco in the top right corner.
Select the new picture.
Save.

Now go back to the Tools/Update Product/ and go to Delete Files.
Choose the LM that has the old photo on it.
Remove that photo.

If you don't see the new photo on the loco select screen on the HC, then go to Tools/Remove Product, and remove the LM.
Then go to Find product and add the LM again.

Cheers!

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 09:22:03 AM »
I need to remove the old image. Can someone explain how to remove an image?

Pages 9 and 10 of the Illustrated Downloading, Copying & Updating with RailPro Guide explain about deleting.

Make sure you've set the new picture in the LM first as Bill has explained in his post.

- Tim