Author Topic: Steam sounds  (Read 3605 times)

oldline1

• Brakeman
Steam sounds
« on: December 26, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
I'm sorry if there's a better place to ask about this but I'm not familiar with the group.

I only run steam and I'm not finding much information on RP steam sounds. Youtube has 3 videos and they are very disappointing to me. The chuff isn't in sync with any of the engines seen there and it has a sort of off-beat cadence. Obviously RP is more diesel oriented but still the advantages of the system over DCC are apparent. Where can I find a selection of sounds for RP. I can't find that on the website.

Does the sound work with a cam or wiper or is it like the Tsunami2 and "automatically" TRIES to sync?

Thanks for any help.
oldline1

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Steam sounds
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:36:13 PM »

As of now, there is no place where you can listen to all the sounds. Having that feature available on the Ring website would be a good idea. You can download them, and copy them onto any LM sound module, listen to them, then delete them if you so choose and load a different one.

The videos you watched were older examples of chuff sounds. The synchronization has been improved somewhat since they were made. There is no cam or wiper activation of chuff sounds. It is all electronic and set by the user.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:35:53 PM »
The most recent software update for the LM's included additional support for steam users, including better adjustments to the chuff rate.  How it differs from before I'm not sure, since I don't own a steamer and have not tested it.  Before the update I had tested it on a friend's steamer and wasn't terribly excited about how the chuff worked.  It just didn't translate well across various speeds.  Supposedly that has been improved in the recent large update.

The LM-2S and LM-3S both have input wires that can theoretically be used for cam input.  Ring is aware that we want a cam input but I don't know how close he is to making that a reality.  The hardware should all be there to support it, but he will need to write software to make it work. 

I really ought to buy a steamer and use it as a test bed for all these sounds.

-Kevin

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 10:41:36 PM »
- Pit cock open is only played after a time delay (few minutes).
- 4 chuff per rev can be kept by setting the entire speed table then using the real time
chuff adjust at one speed (i.e 30 SMPH). 

- To set speed table use a speedometer or measure distance and time and set loco for 5 SMPH
at 5%, 10 SMPH at 10% and so on up to 100%. For example Set knob to 20.0% then adjust the 20%
 slider until the loco is going 20 scale MPH (SMPH).

Here's some notes that Tim sent me when the new program was sent out as beta.  Looks like the chuff rate relies on the new speed table feature.  Again, I don't know how this translates into reality without testing it out. 

We have a couple of guys on here with steamers....hopefully they can update us on how this is working?  Bruce? Rob?

-Kevin

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:31:59 PM »
I have nothing but steamers. but so far only 3 have been converted to RailPro.

It is true that when the chuff rate is set at one speed, the chuff sounds get out of sync at different speeds.  How far out of sync the chuffs get differs in different locos (based on my sample size of 3)

I also find that when locos are consisted, the chuff sound of the second loco plays significantly faster that it should (in relation to the wheels) -- faster than it plays (in relation to the wheels) when it was run alone or as the first loco.  This is true when the second loco is behind the first, or in the middle of the consist or at the end, as a pusher.  I have not tried consisting all 3 locos.

I also found that for one of my locos, turning the chuff sound rate to the maximum was still not quite enough to match the wheels.  This last problem was fixed in the recent major update.

I saw the speed table in the new software update, but never realized it could be used to help sync the chuff rate.  I will try this and get back to you -- but not for a few days -- family arriving tomorrow for 5-day visit.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:54:47 AM »
We have a list of available sounds here on the RPUG, but no samples of them.

You can find the list of sounds as a pinned post in the RailPro Discussion and Help section:
https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/board,1.0.html
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.