Author Topic: No Sounds  (Read 2022 times)

Michael

• Fireman
No Sounds
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:18:28 PM »
Hello Group:

This is my first full install of a LM-2S and everything works fine with the exception of the sounds. I have a bell, horn, and engine loaded into the HC-2. I have tried two speakers, but neither works.

Apparently I am missing something?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike Sullivan

KPack

• Conductor
Re: No Sounds
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
Mike - do you have those sounds that are loaded onto the HC-2 also loaded onto the LM-2S module in question?  The sounds must be loaded onto each locomotive module individually.  Once they are loaded onto the module you need to set up the function buttons to play those sounds.  Each LM-2S/LM-3S comes with generic sounds loaded on, and if you want to put different sounds on you need to load them and tell the buttons what sounds to play.

If you haven't yet I'd suggest reading through the user guides made by "the other Tim" on this site, and possibly watching this video:

If you've done all these things then there is something else going on.

-Kevin

Michael

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
I have completed the following (in order) this past weekend:

1) Watched your video (excellent - thank you!)
2) Read "the Other Tim's Set-up and Instructions" (again excellent and thanks)
3) Downloaded the newest updated software version for my HC-2
4) Downloaded the newest updated software version for my LM-2S
5) Downloaded two new sound files - Bronze Bell and Sanding.
6) Updated new software versions on my HC-2
7) Copied new sound files from the HC-2 to the loco.
8) Switched out the 6-pin harness (with the speaker attached) to another LM-2S and heard sounds (thus eliminating the speaker or the harness as a problem).

Still no sound.  :-\ Everything else works perfectly.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
After #7 did you assign those sounds to the correct function button, and did you save the changes?

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »
Switched out the 6-pin harness (with the speaker attached) to another LM-2S and heard sounds (thus eliminating the speaker or the harness as a problem).

Sounds like 1 of 2 things. Either it's an LM-3 and not a 3S or you have a bad sound decoder.

I suggest you contact Tim Ring by phone to begin an assessment of the product.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
When you installed the module you need to be extremely careful not to let the speaker wires touch anything. Especially if you have the engine on the track to test it during the install. Failure to observe this will result in a blown amplifier in the module. It doesn't take much to wreck the amp. I suspect this is what you have done. It'll need to go back for repair. I learnt this the hard way. Twice!

Michael

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »
I believe you are correct Bruce. I spoke to Tim Ring, and it is on its way back for repair. Apparently you do have to be especially careful not to let the speaker wires touch anything else.  :-[ I installed another (new) LM-2S I had sitting around, and everything (including sounds) work perfectly. I'll install the repaired LM-2S in another loco when I get it back.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mike Sullivan 

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »
Don't feel bad Mike, I've made the same mistake as well.  Now I finish all my installs completely before applying power to the module (all wires soldered and heat shrink wrapped).

-Kevin