Author Topic: Proto Throttle  (Read 10059 times)

TomO

• Fireman
Proto Throttle
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
I have been following (& I have seen some of u 2) the development of the diesel Proto Throttle by ISE and Scott Thornton on the MRH forum site. I have used this Throttle at Trainfest in Milwaukee last November and was even more blown away than I was expecting. I love my RailPro though!

Since this is a open source adventure does anyone here see a way the Proto Throttle can be incorporated into RailPro? I am on the pre-order list for the throttle as even if I have to (heavens forbid) buy a DCC (ESU’s) system to use it, I might. I have a one town switching layout and that is what the Proto Throttle excels at, switching. This is an ideal Throttle for switching fans. I would still use RailPro but for the main line runs and transfers.

See the throttle at ProtoThrottle.com or the MRH forums threads by searching Proto Throttle. Looking for some thoughts as I AM NOT an electronics guy.

TomO

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Proto Throttle
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
I've been watching that throttle to, and I have played with one. It's very neat indeed.
The only way to make this work will RailPro will be if Ring Engineering builds an interface for it.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
$600.00!! that's 13 Railpro decoders; a much better investment. And you still have to have a DCC system?
Doesn't the LM-3s have notching and braking?
Dean

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
Curious to see how the notching works out. 8 speed steps seems terribly limiting. Even though the Proto Throttle is using DCC 128 steps, ultimately the handle limits you to 8 steady-state running steps (not accelerating or decelerating). Didn't DCC migrate from 14 steps to 128 steps to mitigate this very problem? Eight seems like a giant leap backwards in the name of "prototypical".

Dean - I'm right with you. $600!!! Not gonna happen here.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TomO

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
I’m not sure where the $600 is coming from as I have read the price of 2 sound equipped locomotives, but yes it is not inexpensive at even around 460. The price isn’t so much my concern as to having to go to DCC to use it, as I have nothing DCC and really don’t want any. RailPro is too easy to use in comparison. I’m not going to bother Tim with something maybe a couple of us might use. I’ll email ISE direct.

If we are able to duplicate the notching and brake applications I haven’t discovered that yet, but will start looking and experimenting again.

Thank you
TomO

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:50:33 PM »
Capture.PNG
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
I do like the levers and knobs on the Proto Throttle.  A very interesting concept indeed.  Alan, I think the way they are using the notches is with a different software programming....meaning moving it up to say notch 2 will play all the correct sound effects, but it also uses software to mimic movement of a typical locomotive with momentum and such.  Similar to what the load setting does on Railpro.  I haven't played with it myself, but that's what it looks like from videos I've seen.

Railpro doesn't fully duplicate notching and brake applications yet.  The load and brake functions are a step in the right direction, but I feel like they need more tweaking....particularly the brake function.  While I like how the load function increases momentum significantly with a heavier train, I would really like a way to control the sound of the prime mover, especially when running light.  Right now with 0% load the prime mover is running at notch 3 while the locomotive coasts down a straight track.  It should be back at idle at the point and the locomotive would just be coasting.

The brake is still a little too primitive.  It works, but doesn't work as smoothly as it should.  Right now you press and hold the brake button and it rather quickly increases to 100%, making it a little unrealistic.  I'd prefer more of a step system, where the braking power increases incrementally.  But how do you do that without a physical lever like the Proto Throttle has?  Regardless, one way or another I'd like to see the braking improved on Railpro.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:34:39 PM »
I’ll email ISE direct.

I already talked to ISE. Because Ring is a Closed system, Ring will have to make their own adapter to support it or share their code with ISE.

The load and brake functions are a step in the right direction, but I feel like they need more tweaking....particularly the brake function.  While I like how the load function increases momentum significantly with a heavier train, I would really like a way to control the sound of the prime mover, especially when running light.  Right now with 0% load the prime mover is running at notch 3 while the locomotive coasts down a straight track.  It should be back at idle at the point and the locomotive would just be coasting.

This is why I prefer manual notching. I get to maintain full control of the speed and sound separately.

The control of the speed is so smooth and precise with RailPro, I see no need to handycap an operator with bib momentum settings.

My operators look and feel like 20 year veteran engineers on the line instead of looking like a bunch of rookies with a throttle lever in their hand for the first time. They don't come to play rookie engineer. They come to run like they see out in the real world - seasoned pros.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

TomO

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:56:35 PM »
Thanks Alan, forgot about the receiver but they are offering a discount if pre ordered, still, I agree, a lot of bucks. Bill, makes sense what ISE told you, I had already sent my email before seeing your response.

As to learning the Proto Throttle, Joe F gave me a lesson, less than a couple minutes and I had no problem, but yes, still nothing is as easy as the RailPro.

Thanks all
TomO

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »
I've only followed the ProtoThrottle on and off. If I had not gone RailPro and was still with DCC then I would be getting it, I always wanted a throttle with proper notches. That said it wouldn't be impossible for Ring to add this (levers etc instead of knobs) to his system if the market was there to support it. The power of the Ring touchscreen with actual throttle and brake levers etc would make for a very close representation of a modern day loco.

Now the part I find funny, how many times have we heard the argument against RP because the controller is "too big so it must be used two handed" yet from the photo in the advance registration thread on MRH the Protothrottle appears very much the same bulkiness as the HC yet no one is saying boo.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
The Proto Throttle is way larger than Railpro from what I've seen.  I've never had a problem with the size of the Railpro throttle, and never had a problem operating it one-handed.  That's one complaint that people make against Railpro that I've never really understood.

-Kevin

TomO

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 08:46:03 PM »
I use my RailPro one handed and also have no issues. I fit a medium glove so I was concerned about the size of the Proto Throttle. It did not feel uncomfortable and it does have a strap on the back to fit the fingers into. The Throttle is bigger but the feel because of the straps was fine. It also has a spot on the case to be able to hang it around your neck. They had a lot of help with ideas from the MRH forum group and it has been very well thought out.

TomO

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »
As to learning the Proto Throttle, Joe F gave me a lesson, less than a couple minutes and I had no problem, but yes, still nothing is as easy as the RailPro.

I used one for a few hours at Joe Atkinson's IAIS layout. It is a lot of fun to use and very intuitive. I enjoyed using it and it is certainly a 2 hander. Not really an issue for this a boutique item. I have no problem using RP with only 1 hand.

Smoke

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 06:20:31 PM »
Two years years later, is there any word on if RailPro will ever communicate with the Proto Throttle? I am interested in both RailPro and the Proto throttle but since they don't communicate right now it is one or the other.
-Andrew

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 10:34:53 PM »
Two years years later, is there any word on if RailPro will ever communicate with the Proto Throttle? I am interested in both RailPro and the Proto throttle but since they don't communicate right now it is one or the other.

Six years with no Mac support and an extremely poor RP Assistant interface and zero fix to whatever issue the Hugh's net guys are having. I'm going to guess 'not any time soon'.

I wish I had a better answer.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org