Author Topic: Wiring Track  (Read 1711 times)

Jengland

• Brakeman
Wiring Track
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
I want to create a 3 track oval layout on a shelf around a game room. Is it possible to use one RP power supply to run all 3 loops? My kids would like to run 2 of 3 tracks at one time if possible? What I would like to run bus wires if possible as I plant to use flex track for the layout. Any suggestions as to parts I might need would be great. I am very green on this, but with some help I can usually figure things out.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Wiring Track
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »
You should be able to run 1 set of bus wires around the entire loop and power all 3 tracks from it.

Work your wire in both directions from the power supply so the power is in the middle of the run.
You can connect both ends of the bus together if you want also. (a loop just like the track)

The RPK-1 and a few extra HC's should have you ready to go. Plus an LM-3 or LM-3S for each locomotive.

Cheers!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Jengland

• Brakeman
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:24:14 PM »
Bill thanks for the answer. Without using the clips that cut the wire do I simply use a power distribution board for each section of track off the bus wires?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:29:18 PM »
You can use suitcase connectors, terminal strips, or simply solder the connections.

Soldering gives the most robust connection.

I used suitcase connectors and closed them with an adjustable jaw plier. 4 years in and no issues so far.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »
The wire gauge the of buss is worth mentioning. It depends on the total length around your room although as a general rule bigger is better. If you measure the room we can give you a recommended wire size. 
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro