Author Topic: It finally happened  (Read 7090 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
It finally happened
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »
 I was asked by the president of the Yuma MRR club to have a clinic this coming Saturday on RailPro. Some have asked about RP as now the club has gone to DCC and there are a few that doesn't like the hassle of programing and all the other features of DCC that is hard to remember at least for a few of the old timers. So I am getting everything ready to show and run plus all of the other goodies that I have picked up along the way.  Good thing I thought about charging the handheld as that will be the main event or so to speak. My check list is long and I think I can cover everything to make it happen so I'll be ready.

A report will follow Saturday afternoon if possible?

The old fardt in Arid-Zona.  8)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: It finally happened
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »
Yay! Go Get 'Em Darryl!!!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
Good luck Daryl and let us know how it goes.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:17:31 PM »
It sounds like a great opportunity to show off RailPro, Darryl. I'm sure you will be well-prepared. Don't forget to tell them about this site and Bill's online store.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

crzytrnbuf

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »

Darryl
 That's more great news! Good Luck with your presentation to your club members.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »
  Actually I do have some help in this as the club secretary sent the notice on the clinic and posted RP's website addy on the latest club news letter.

I am really looking to see if there might be someone that might get involved with RP after seeing my presentation. I'll give it my best shot.I have lots of ammo or so to speak.

Later _____

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »
I was asked by the president of the Yuma MRR club to have a clinic this coming Saturday on RailPro. Some have asked about RP as now the club has gone to DCC and there are a few that doesn't like the hassle of programing and all the other features of DCC that is hard to remember at least for a few of the old timers. So I am getting everything ready to show and run plus all of the other goodies that I have picked up along the way.  Good thing I thought about charging the handheld as that will be the main event or so to speak. My check list is long and I think I can cover everything to make it happen so I'll be ready.

A report will follow Saturday afternoon if possible?

The old fardt in Arid-Zona.  8)

Darryl,

I am in the Yuma area.  Is there any chance that I could be invited to your Club's meeting on this Saturday (Mar 3rd).  If so, when and where is the meeting?  Could my friend tag along also?

Thank you,
LeRoy

ADDED AT 10:02
PS:  If bringing along my friend is too much, that is OK.  I haven't told him yet and I am perfectly happy to come alone, if possible.

Thanks again,
LeRoy
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:02:43 AM by Homeless by Choice »
Retired, Homeless, and full timer RVer.  I live in my truck camper and roam the USA, Canada, and Alaska.  I sold my home to my son but I still have full access to the entire lower level.  I have somewhat of a HO bench plan designed.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 11:35:12 PM »
LeRoy

I don't speak for the club but I do believe everyone is invited to visit at least once or twice. This Saturday our gathering will be at 9:00 am at the Gila Ridge school 22nd & Arizona Ave with parking just off Az ave which is a bus lane during school sessions but not during our hours. If you like come there tomorrow evening as we are there most anytime after 6:00 pm.  There is a gate next to our building which is not locked so just push it open , then close it back. Let me know if you will be there tomorrow so I can look for you. Call if you want,   nine zero seven 227 one seven 5 four when you arrive. Darryl in Yuma foothills  8)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »
 This report will be on a very cheerful note.  Many showed up for our monthly meeting and then I was given the chance to present RailPro.

I must start off by saying that there was quite a number of fellows that were interested in getting first hand knowledge and hands on the system.  You know touching is much greater than looking at pictures. As I made my way through the information I had, a lot of help for me, many were asking a lot of questions. I think I answered all the questions with the right answers so my part went well. A few guys had previously looked at RP's website and they got a head start there. At least two fellows were very very interested in getting a RP system, I know two other fellows that possibly might get the system in the future. Some were on the fence as was I way back long time ago. No one had any really bad comment about RP except it was not compatible with any other DCC companies or being able to have some other company to choose this type of system in case RP went out of business. You know one man bands or companies do not share their system like years ago before NMRA made the standards for DCC. After some discussion on that which was not that important anyway we went on to other thoughts but all for the most part, were very positive.

I was asked if I would let them watch an engine run that I brought and use the handheld after the presentation was near the end. I put an engine on the DCC powered track and let the fellows give it a spin. That really sealed the deal when they saw the picture of the engine on the handheld, that did it. No CV's to fiddle with, just pick an engine and control the direction, bell or whistle or the lights by touch.

After an hour an a half, I was about finished and I shot the bull with a few members and I really enjoyed this opportunity to show RP.
The club president thanked me and said I had a very good presentation for which I was thankful that it was well received and of course the fellows helped a bunch.

A member here on RPUG, LeRoy, did come to the club gathering this morning and just might add something else?  By the way, it was nice meeting you for the first time face to face.

Possibly Bill might pick a few orders as I passed that along the info of where to buy the product for the best deal.

A few fellows wrote down website addy for RP and Bill's info.

That's about it  _____.  The old fardt in Yuma, Darryl  8)

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »
Glad you had a good meeting, Darryl, and nice of you to plug this forum and Bill's store.

As to compatibility, keep in mind that DCC controllers can operate RP equipped locomotives. I don't know if it is technically possible to devise a method for running DCC locomotives with a RP controller, but if it is possible, Tim Ring will figure it out.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 06:07:09 PM »
Sounds like you had a good time presenting RailPro Darryl!

As already mentioned, with DCC Mode now supported by the LM's, purchasers can rest assured that the decoders will continue to be functional into the future in the case of something unexpected happening to Ring's business.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »
Hi guys,

Yes, I was at the YMRR Club this morning.  I met Darryl and as he said, it’s always a pleasure to meet people Face to Face.  Darryl did a nice job of presenting RailPro.  I was glad to see and put my hands on RailPro equipment, and watch it in action: Thank you Darryl.

No offense to anyone, but I wanted something more up-to-date than DC train operation.  My previous concern about going DCC was all the fiddling that DCC required so I ruled it out as a monstrous dinosaur and I will leave it at that.  My MAJOR concern about going RailPro was all the issues forum members are having while trying to download Ring’s updates.

I am Homeless.  I live in my truck camper full time.  I use Verizon for my cell and internet service.  Sometimes I am too far from towers to get a good solid internet connection.  I privately talked to Darryl about this and he assured me that all I need to do is go to the library and download the updates using the library’s top of the line internet connection.  Like I said, that was the only RailPro hurdle that I was struggling with, I am now going RailPro.

Engine House Services (EHS) in Green Bay, WI sells RailPro.  They are only 75 miles from my son’s house.  However, I will buy my RailPro system from Bill Brillinger, Precision Design Co, and the remainder of my RR supplies from EHS.  That way I will get the best service, the best price, and support the forum’s owner.

I plan on continuing my bench work at my son's house in May and have enough track laid so I can run some trains before next fall.   I spend the winter months Snowbirding in southwest USA.  I have an enclosed trailer where I plan to work on my RR from Nov thru Apr.

Again Thank You Darryl,
LeRoy
Retired, Homeless, and full timer RVer.  I live in my truck camper and roam the USA, Canada, and Alaska.  I sold my home to my son but I still have full access to the entire lower level.  I have somewhat of a HO bench plan designed.

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »
Ref: Just be mindful that a library's internet could be locked down pretty tight, UDP may or may not be blocked. It's definitely worth a shot but don't walk in expecting a miracle.

- Tim

from:https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,650.msg5028.html#msg5028  Message 11

I realize that Tim put that message out four days ago but I have been trying to figure out what to do in the meantime without making a fool of myself on this forum.  I decided that the risks are too high for me.  If I buy new hardware with not up-to-date software, I could be in deep do-do.  As much as I have been selling myself on RailPro, I don't want to be frustrated.  I started this whole project with a pleasurable hobby in mind.  I don't mind challenges that I have a chance at overcoming but turning firewalls OFF, turning antivirus OFF, etc is way too complicated for me.  I would never be sure if I turned them OFF correctly and furthermore I wouldn't be comfortable that I turned them back ON again completely.  I won't risk compromising my computer.

Sadly, I guess I will have to go with variable voltage DC and be satisfied running one train without bells or horns.

Thank you,
LeRoy

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »
LeRoy, If you cannot get access the Ring Server, you could ask your vendor to update product for you. I've done this for people before where they were in a hurry or had issues.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 07:15:11 AM »
Post regarding connection problems has been moved to https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,678.0.html