Author Topic: Walk on the wild side  (Read 2880 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Walk on the wild side
« on: April 26, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
Since our club is divided somewhat between HO and N gauge members. We have two club layouts and RailPro does come up now and then, I have given some thoughts about how to use RP with N gauge engines?  Has anyone tried to make something happen? I'm looking at the possibility of using a flat car for the RP module and stringing the wires up to a diesel engine?   Might this be a far out dream? Sure would be a big boost in N gauge if RP had a module for them. The old fardt in Arid-Zona  8)

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Walk on the wild side
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
Why not? Go for it.

You need power to the LM. Power pickup on the flat car wheels would be two less wires going to the loco.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
Alan.

Excellent hint..

I didn't think about using pick up from the flat car wheels. That sure would save the hassle of running those two pick up wires from the engine back to the flat car.

With this experiment it would be just wiring for the engine motor with no lights or sound. That might come later IF ?

Now to find a suitable engine and a flat car that will suffice.  Oh ! This might get interesting or a nightmare but I gots to give it a go.

Darryl   8)

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »
Are you running dcc with railpro?
I want to go dead rail in N scale so a boxcar is probably more appropriate to contain the module and small battery. Maybe an express reefer.
Eventually I will go dead rail in a new HO layout but that is somewhere down the road, possibly late this year.
Should an upcoming experiment work satisfactorily, I will post results.
Cecil
ATSF

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:12:15 PM »
An idea passed through and maybe a Kato N scale RDC just might work as one could remove the seats to make room? If someone had one to look at? That cooler unit at the top of the car might be hollow and that would be a help. Seems like a module laying on its side might work. Too bad no one in our club has one... I gots the track and a power supply and a module so I'm getting closer. Just be my luck if RP announced new modules coming out for N scale !!!  I will not hold my breath on that... Cheers ya'll  8)

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:08:22 PM »
According to Tim Ring, an N scale module is planned, but yes, don't hold your breath waiting.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
Why not put the decoder in a dummy 'B' unit?
Dean

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 09:48:01 PM »
Dean.  I could do that but I would then have to buy two engines. For course if the RDC doesn't work out then plan B might be the next choice.
Saturday morning is our regular meeting and I will take a module with me to see if one of the N scale guys has an engine like maybe steam but then all I have seen there would be their diesels. So far I have a few choices like the RDC, B unit, flat cat, boxcar and a steamer. Something got to work?  Cheers folks  8)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 04:15:41 PM »
Interesting find, no not any goodies but I found out that the RP module will fit into some N scale boxcars, passenger cars and of course gondola or flat cars.

Since I haven't a chance to see a RDC car yet, that would be my favorite choice if the module could fit in side and keep the wiring short.
I sure would like to find a RDC DCC ready or at least DCC but hard wiring is not a problem. Guess it's time to take a journey on eBay and see what I can dig up.

TOF in very Arid-Zona.  8)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:12:05 PM by darryl.trains »

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Re: Walk on the wild side Back again !
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »
Kind of slow at the club this time of the year since half the members spend their days away from the heat. A few of us diehards are left but we are shutting down for the month of July. 

Any hoo, the interest might pick up later for Railpro with the club.

I am still hacking away at trying to convert two N scale engines but the modules are just too big so I wait but not hold my breath for modules made for N scale but there sure is interest around as I used to get asked about something smaller to fit N scale. The market is there for sure, I would buy a number for myself and I betcha the N scale guys might do the same especially since I have offered the use of the second brand new unit I recently picked up on a deal.

Off to the the work bench as there seems to be a never ending supply of things to do.. 

Cheers, the old fardt in damn hot Yuma, well not that bad but will be about 110 tomorrow if case you might not know?   Bye.  8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:41:50 PM by darryl.trains »