Author Topic: Firewalls  (Read 3217 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Firewalls
« on: March 16, 2018, 04:43:35 AM »
Evening all,

I have just posted a step by step guide to checking Windows Firewall to the guides board.  Hopefully it's easy for those that aren't "tech savvy" to follow.

I would like to write some more guides for other firewalls too but would like to know what firewalls people are using. I'll try and select a list of what I think the more common ones could be but I've really no idea what's "common".

So far my list includes
AVG
Norton (I truly give thanks for virtual machines :) )
Comodo
ZoneAlarm (don't think this is actually common)
Kapersky
Avast

What other firewalls do people here use? I'd really like to hear from those that cannot even install RP software. If you don't want to post what you use to this thread you can always PM it to me.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Firewalls
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:08:41 AM »
I’ve been using SuperAntiSpyware for years. It does the job and doesn’t slow down the computer.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
Thanks Al,

Unfortunately SuperAntiSpyware doesn't include a firewall so if your not using any other antivirus product or standalone firewall then you'll be using Windows Firewall yourself.

For those that don't know what a firewall is*, it's basically a piece of software that intercepts communications between your computer and the internet and determines if that communication is allowed in (or out) or not. Everybody that's running Windows will be running a firewall of some sort, unless they have turned it off deliberately.

If you don't know what firewall your running, this is a very basic way to figure it out.

• If you not running any antivirus product and have not installed a stand alone firewall, you'll be running Windows Firewall.
  • If you are running an antivirus product that includes "Internet security" or Total security" or "Total protection" or words to that effect as part of it's name, your firewall is most likely part of that antivirus product.
  • If you are running an antivirus product that does not include "Internet security" or Total security" or "Total protection" or words to that effect as part of it's name, your firewall is most likely Windows Firewall.

*Your router likely includes a basic firewall as well. This is not what's being asked for.

- Tim
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:43:47 AM by G8B4Life »

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »
I use Avast. Firewall is a paid feature available in Avast Premium. If you are using the free version of Avast (Essentials) then you do not have Avast Firewall.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »
I currently only have windows firewall going.  Still having connection issues.  I've confirmed the computer settings with the guide you created and confirmed that my ISP does not block port 80.  so the problem is somewhere with my network.  That's the next step.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

crzytrnbuf

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
 Hello Group         I think any one who uses AOL  would use McAfee since it is free with AOL. I use it.

Den, Crzytrnbuf